Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch the thing on American Rifleman TV tonight that featured the National Museum of the Marine Corps down in Quantico, VA? Not too far from me, I remember when it opened recently I thought about checking it out. But now that I've seen it, I will DEFINITELY check it out! Looks like a great museum, loaded with inspiring exhibits of firepower and bravery. I salute all you guys from the Corps and every other branch of the Armed Forces.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I didn't catch it on tv but it definitely sounds worth checking out. I live very close to the the Patton Museum here in Kentucky and have been to it many times -- it's certainly worth checking out too if you're in the area or passing through. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is most definitely on my list of places to visit before I croak.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
just got through watching it.
+1 on a visit

·
Registered
947 Posts
They finally opened it? I spent 3 years at the Airstation at MCB Quantico back in the early '70s. Across the road from our Squadron's Admin and Barracks area, by the OCS School, was a make-shift Museum in an old warehouse. I'm glad to hear they got it done.
Last time I made it back there was in '91. My God how that area had changed. When I was stationed there from Woodbridge south to Dumfries/Triangle there was nothing but woods. In '91 that whole area was developed. Woodbridge was where I bought my first handgun, a Ruger Single Six for $64, at the Western Auto store.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Dad and I used to go fishing and camping at Quantico Lake when I was a kid, and one thing I'll never forget is we'd be driving along, miles and miles and miles of nothing, then we'd see this Marine jogging on the side of the road, then we'd keep driving, miles and miles and miles, thinking, man, where did he come from? How the heck far is he GOING?!?

·
Registered
842 Posts
My neighbor up the street is a Korean vet. He and his wife keep up with a lot of the men he served with and travel to Quantico and other places for various Marine Corps functions including some at Ft Knox, so I'd bet they were there when it opened. I'll have to ask him.
Taurus 9MM, I took my sons to the Patton museum a few time when they were younger. It's another place in Ky well worth going to see.
baker

·
Registered
460 Posts
I visited the new Marine Corps Museum last month. It was a day well spent. I went with friends who had an in with a dosen who gave us a nice all day guided tour.

As a Marine F-4 pilot, I was disappointed that, while they had an A-4, Corsair, AV-8B and some old stuff, the F-4 was represented only with photos.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I don't know where Port Republic is, but I also recommend the NRA museum in Fairfax VA and the new (ish) Air & Space museum out near Dulles airport. They are close enough that setting aside one day to see both is a day well spent.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I'm planning a trip to the east coast next year, that and the NRA National Museum are two places that are on my "must see" list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts