Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have used these in preference to some of the others around.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ain't it amazing how easy it is, once you figure out the tricks?

Duane

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Okay, don't laugh, but I learned how to disassemble the original Standard, way back before there were videos, back when there were things called eight track tapes, though that was not a subject for tapes, so I learned by reading the instructions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay, don't laugh, but I learned how to disassemble the original Standard, way back before there were videos, back when there were things called eight track tapes, though that was not a subject for tapes, so I learned by reading the instructions.
Heck, I even remember 4 track tapes. :)

Dis-assembly was a a no-brainer. Re-assembly was a little tougher.

But once you learn the tricks, it's a piece of cake.

Duane

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I took my Mark III to the range yesterday to the range and put about 300 rounds through it. I cleaned it to gun-store cleanliness standard last night. The whole cleaning process took maybe 10-15 minutes. Once you get the hang of the gun it is about as easy to strip and clean as any pistol.

Main tricks:

1. Remember to insert an empty magazine, cock the pistol and dry-fire before removing the Mainspring Housing Assembly (MHA). Remove that magazine.

2. After removing the MHA, I always point the pistol in the air and tap the muzzle with the ubiquitous rubber mallet. This drops the hammer strut allowing the bolt to be removed. Be careful not to drop the bolt on the floor.

3. When re-assembling, after inserting the bolt and before inserting the MHA, insert an empty magazine, pull the trigger, and push the hammer all the way forward with a Q-tip or other tool. Then insert the MHA. A tap with a rubber mallet can be handy to insert the MHA pin all the way in. Remember to remove the magazine.

4. MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Once the MHA is inserted but before you swing it all the way into the grip, point the pistol vertical and tap the muzzle with that rubber mallet. This drops the hammer strut into the proper position. As you close the MHA into the grip you should feel spring tension the last slight part of the insertion as you swing the MHA into the grip. This means all is well. If there is no spring tension, repeat this step (vertical, tap muzzle, then swing the MHA in). You can check the pistol by charging the bolt; if it charges, you are finished.

Took me all night one time to figure out the above.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes North Country gal those were the days we had to learn the hard way by reading and trial and error. I think those where much simpler times. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Yes North Country gal those were the days we had to learn the hard way by reading and trial and error. I think those where much simpler times. :rolleyes:
They sure were. Not saying that the internet is a bad thing, mind you, but life was different in those days - not necessarily better or worse, but different. One of the things I do like about the internet and forums like this, though, is the way us old timers can share what we know with so many young shooters. That's been a very healthy thing for the shooting world and lot's of fun, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
4. MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Once the MHA is inserted but before you swing it all the way into the grip, point the pistol vertical and tap the muzzle with that rubber mallet. This drops the hammer strut into the proper position. As you close the MHA into the grip you should feel spring tension the last slight part of the insertion as you swing the MHA into the grip. This means all is well. If there is no spring tension, repeat this step (vertical, tap muzzle, then swing the MHA in). You can check the pistol by charging the bolt; if it charges, you are finished.

Took me all night one time to figure out the above.
This is the one I forget about EVERYTIME I take mine apart! All three times now (It's a month old). LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Someone in a similar thread posted a "trick" to it and said something to the effect of "anytime I show someone that, they never have a problem again." I've looked for it, but can't find it.

There's always the Majestic Arms speed strip kit. I'm giving that some serious consideration too.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Don't know what trick they were referring to, but the biggest challenge is to get that hammer strut laying down in the right position before you close that mainspring latch. This is easiest done by pointing the muzzle up, wiggling the gun if need be to get that strut to lay down, then centering the strut, side-to-side, before closing the latch. You'll usually feel just a bit of tension just before the latch closes if you've done it right. If the latch closes too easily, you probably missed it and will know for sure when you can't open the bolt.

If that strut doesn't want to lay down even after wiggling, you sometimes have to take a small needle nose or some other object to work it free from the frame. It all sounds harder than it really is.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They sure were. Not saying that the internet is a bad thing, mind you, but life was different in those days - not necessarily better or worse, but different. One of the things I do like about the internet and forums like this, though, is the way us old timers can share what we know with so many young shooters. That's been a very healthy thing for the shooting world and lot's of fun, too.

+1 to that North country gal. I just wish I had as much to share as you do.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Don't know what trick they were referring to, but the biggest challenge is to get that hammer strut laying down in the right position before you close that mainspring latch. This is easiest done by pointing the muzzle up, wiggling the gun if need be to get that strut to lay down, then centering the strut, side-to-side, before closing the latch. You'll usually feel just a bit of tension just before the latch closes if you've done it right. If the latch closes too easily, you probably missed it and will know for sure when you can't open the bolt.

If that strut doesn't want to lay down even after wiggling, you sometimes have to take a small needle nose or some other object to work it free from the frame. It all sounds harder than it really is.
I never have to do any of that. I have 4 mark pistols (2 Mark IIIs, a Mark II, and a Standard) and if I just point the muzzle vertical and firmly tap the muzzle with the mallet the Mainspring Housing always goes right in with proper spring tension. It has never failed me one time.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These directions on the Ruger site were great. I left the barrel on this time around and just took out the bolt and cleaned the pistol like that. Although removing the barrel is easy enough for the chamber area and my cleaning rod is long enough to attach the 22 cal brush and clean the barrel from the chamber end. I have to get the pistol ready for the indoor range. A 38 spl barrel brush will fit well sought. Also, the person who did the video said this only has to be done after "extended" shooting. I also bought a bore snake in 22 cal and use that after every trip to the range. The chamber gets cleaned with patches, paper towels and q tips. Yiogo

·
Registered
540 Posts
A "trick" that I have taught three people so far: When closing the MHA, keep the pistol pointed upward.

All three were having problems with closing the MHA. They knew they had to point the pistol upward. And always checked the hammer strut.
And all three would then point the pistol horizontally, or downward, when closing the MHA.

Had an "aha!" moment and had one watch me close the latch, as I talked through the steps. Then I handed him the pistol and had him rack the bolt. Joy. Then I told him to open the latch and do exactly what I did to close the latch. Point up. Check strut. Point level or down and close the latch. When the racked the bolt, no joy. He was verbally repeating the steps, but not actually keeping the pistol pointed upward.

Fourth iteration, after he said (and did), "Point up. Check strut...", he pointed the pistol down. I said "Stop!" You didn't say "Point down!"
Deer in the headlights. Then you could see the light come on in the attic!
Had him try again. "Point up. Check strut. Close latch."
Pure joy.

Had similar success with the other two.

Went through three iterations of that with

1 - 16 of 16 Posts