Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was replacing the extractor on my Mark I pistol when I clumsily allowed the extractor plunger to go flying out of the bolt. The plunger was lost and I have ordered a replacement, but the website says that for Mark I pistols, the tail end of the plunger must be trimmed to match existing part. Since I do not have the original plunger to compare it to, I'm not sure how much I need to trim. Anyone know what the exact length of a Mark I extractor plunger is?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Best I can do is show a poor quality photo of a Mark I plunger I found on the internet.
Maybe it will give you some idea how long the tail should be relative to the rest of the body.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Depends on how old your Mark I/Standard is for the length of the extractor plunger. Here's a picture of two types of extractor plungers that can be found in Ruger 22 Auto pistols.

The lines in this picture form a 1 Sq. Inch section.

The smaller, (shorter) thicker shafted one is for an early Mark I (1950s generation) and the longer, thinner shafted plunger is for all the later models. The plungers have a notch cut in the top to firmly drive the extractor during operation.

The length of the tail is designed long enough to prevent the plunger from being fully retracted with the firing pin stop pin in place. That way the extractor can not fly out of the bolt under the extreme forces of recoil and feeding. You can slide the pin in about 1/3 of the way into the bolt and then you can remove the extractor without having to take off the firing pin.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, thanks. This is all good information, when I get around to working on it, i'll post my results in case anyone's interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts