Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you replace the sear and spring in a Mark I without removing the trigger? I have it in the frame but forgot to push it forward before I installed the hammer. Removing the sear is a simple task, but replacing the hammer is a hastle.

Thanks in advance.

Bigdaddy0442

·
Registered
538 Posts
Can you replace the sear and spring in a Mark I without removing the trigger? I have it in the frame but forgot to push it forward before I installed the hammer. Removing the sear is a simple task, but replacing the hammer is a hastle.

Thanks in advance.

Bigdaddy0442
BD,

Hello and Welcome to the RF! (y)

Yes you can...but you do have to remove the hammer first and just keep the disconnector bar swung up and out of the way (still connected to the trigger).

Then you'll be able to move the sear forward to be captured by the safeties hook! After, trick to pinning the hammer is to apply a little pressure with the hammer against the sear spring tension while lining up the hammer pin (all Ruger Mk pistols)!

Ted

·
Registered
476 Posts
It can really help to have a padded vice to hold the frame while you assemble the fire control group. This is how I do it.

1) rotate the sear forward (against spring tension) to be slightly in front of the hammer pin hole.
2) drop the disconnector down (trigger spring & plunger installed) and make it capture the sear.
3) install the safety and insert the hammer pin until flush with the inside safety surface. (A little grease can help hold the safety detent and spring until captured in the frame.)
4) as you carefully move the safety to on, push down and release the disconnector. This allows the safety to hold the sear and you can swing the disconnector up to add the hammer.
5) put the hammer bushing (with hammer) into the disconnector hole and swing the bushing down so it sits between the safety and frame. The hammer should be vertical at this point.
6) as you start to apply forward and down pressure to align the bushing with the hammer pin, move the safety to the off position so the sear can move forward a little further.
7) push the hammer pin completely into place.

I think the safety detent and sear positioning are the 2 things that make many mark pistol owners avoid taking the lower apart for cleaning. But it's not that hard once you learn the "assembly tricks".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts