Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10" stainless bull barrel MKII. I was wondering if a gunsmith could cut the barrel down a bit, or would thta have an adverse affect pon the gun's accuracy? A 6" barrel might be better suited for my needs.

I also have a small son who I want to teach shooting and the 10" barrel may be make the gun too heavy for him.

or if you all can talk me into the benefits of a 10" barrel, that would be great.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
NO!!!! Ruger doesn't make the 10" bull barrels anymore and I would love to have one for my mark collection!
They are heavy and hard to shoot and don't really offer much more in accuracy compared to the shorter versions. That's why Ruger discontinued them, thus making them collectors pieces. Let's work out some sort of trade, or purchase. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sounds like you may have a couple of offers! I do agree, sell or trade the long barrel for something you want. Keep the gun original.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the ruger out through it's paces today. WOW! The 10" barel makes it sweet to shoot. It shoots better than me., Not a jam or hiccuup. I had two misfires with remignton subsonic loads, but that was it. I also shot Federal 550s and Remington value packs thourgh it.

I took it home and cleaned it (complete disassembly). It wasn't that hard, just tricky. Just follow the instructions and make sure the hammer strut is hanging free. When I took it apart, the gun still had red factory grease in it. 20+ years old and the innards still had the factory grease (I think). The gun was pretty much clean before I shot it I assume it hadn't been shot that much, if at all.

I've pretty much decided to keep this gun. A pleasure to shoot.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
All Ruger Marks shoot this sweet. The feel and action of them makes them the best .22 pistol on the planet! It's why I collect them, and have 8 of em.

You have a rare pistol, and should really check out the going price of them before you sell or modify it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yep I agree cutting the barrel would be a big misstake

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your young son will inherite a fine shooter and isn't that why we buy guns, to hand them down.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jim D

Your young son will inherit a fine shooter and isn't that why we buy guns, to hand them down.
I have two girls, I hope one of them gives me a grandson one day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first impression: Don't cut anything! Trade it! Glad you are going to keep it.

This is what I have to hand down to my son:
10-22 Rifle
Mark III 512
Blackhawk 6-1/2 357
New Vaquero 5-1/2 357
P89
P345
Kimber Custom II
Remington 870
Browning BL22
(soon) SP101 3" 357, Single Six 6 1/2
Kind of thinking about a Bearcat, have to handle one first.

I hope he remembers me fondly in the far future, cares for them as I have, and is a responsible owner.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have one of the S/S 10" MkII's.I shot it a couple of times and it did shoot well. It's been a safe queen for probably 15 + years.That's probably where it will stay.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I'll try to post a pic of my 10" later. [:0]

That's my MK-10. :D I need to take a couple pictures of it anyway.

Jman8182

·
Registered
947 Posts
You may want to look at a 22/45 Mark III they have a thinner grip girth and are better for smaller hands to grip.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 14 of 14 Posts