Ruger Forum banner

Mark II Government Taget Model Value

45K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  USSBDH 
I was not very specific in my earlier posting, when I said they manufactured them to the same specifications I was only talking about the Government model & Government Target model pistols with the 6 7/8ths inch barrels. Not the 5 1/2" bull barrel models.
Bullseye
Are there two different Government models? Is the US stamped model known as just the "Government" model or are they both "Government Target" models? Is the 678GC (competition target) slabside also known as a "Government" model? Just trying to get these different Mark II models catagorized.

I find this statement from Ruger interesting;

"The Government Model also has a heat-treated chamber which allows us to hold it to a slightly tighter specification..." I wonder why Ruger does not do that on all of their target models to include the 5 1/2" bull barrel?
My "guess" would be because the Government Target was originally manufactured on a contract for the military. It had to meet the military specs. After filling that contract, Ruger offered or continued making them for the public with the same specs (including burnished chamber) and provided the test target in the box. That process would be way too expensive to manufacture in all the Mark target models. That's why the Government Target model commands a higher price on the used market. Just a guess you know.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.