Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions from the people who know! I am looking into getting a Ruger Mark, either regular or target, and have a opportunity to get a good deal on a Mark ii of either type but everywhere online says it is super hard to clean, unlike the iv. Is it worth the extra money for the 4?

·
Registered
145 Posts
"Super Hard"? No, definitely not. Takes a bit of patience and learning? Definitely yes!

Mark II:
Once you get the knack of the Mark II disassembly/assembly, it's a piece of cake. There's also the Hammer Strut Tool available from many sources that makes it a bit easier.
There are a lot of YouTube videos to show you the finer points.

Mark IV:
One button take down, no problems with re-assembly. More money than a Mark II.

BOTH are excellent choices.

I own both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a couple of MKIIs and a MKIV. I’ve had the MKII for 30 years. The take down process is a little tricky, but only takes an additional 5 minutes during cleaning. I wouldn’t let that sway your decision.

I bought the MKIV to get a threaded barrel. The mag release is on the side which is more convenient. It came with a rail for optics. I’m not a fan of the mag disconnect but my trigger upgrade got rid of that. The take down is easier although there is a rubber bumper that some people lose.

When I am at the range, both have the same accuracy and are equally enjoyable to shoot. I wouldn’t let the takedown be that larger of a factor in your decision. The other features of the MKIV might be of interest to you.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Mark IV was my first 22 pistol. It is so easy to break down and clean but not owning a Mark III or earlier I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Buy the Mark IV and don't worry about the Mark II. The Mark IV is definitely easier to take down to clean. I like the magazine release much better as well.

The Mark II isn't hard to take apart and put back together but why go through the trouble of learning it and all the initial problems.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Unless you have at least a little mechanical aptitude and like to tinker with your gun go with the MKIV. The MKIV is so much easier to take the upper off and clean and put back on.

As mentioned their are several YouTube videos that will show you how to take a MKII down and put it back together and after you do it a couple times it is no big deal.

I have both and after shooting the MKIV for almost a year now I would not buy a MKII unless I got it for a very low price. MKIV for me all the way.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Mark IV is the one o have.
Mark II magazine release is at the bottom of grip where you insert the magazine. Mark IV Magazine release is by your thumb while shooting. More where a 1911 is and all other American pistols.

Mark IV one button take down, easy peasy. Mark II takes a knack to disassemble and reassembly. I have had all three models in my life time, several times. I only have two Mark IV now. Just traded the Mark III off. Never shot after buying the Mark IV. For a first time gun owner of a 22. Definitely save yourself the hassle and buy the Mark IV. Only thing the Mark IV does not have is a scope rail that you will have to buy. Ruger quit suppling those whit the gun.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The MKIV is much easier to disassemble for cleaning and MUCH easier to reassemble afterward.

The MkII isn't impossible but it is far more complex and requires some time and practice to learn the "secret handshake" to get it back together. Even experienced owners tend to take it apart infrequently.

Only the very last production MkIIs were factory drilled and tapped which makes mounting a scope or red dot very easy. Older ones required awkward clamp-on mounts or a trip to a gunsmith. All MkIVs are factory drilled and tapped.

The MkIV's magazine release is far easier to use and its safety is much more accessible.

I've owned both and the MkIV is my hands down choice.

·
Righteous Dude
21,606 Posts
The Mark IV had easier contros as well as easier breakdown. The slide stop and safety are easier to engage. The mags are easier to drop thanks to the mag release and ejector.

Both are accurate, the IV is just friendlier...

·
Registered
230 Posts
By far the IV. When reassembling the gun there is no contest. Would I buy a ii? Absolutely for the right price but just to add to the stable.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am looking for opinions from the people who know! I am looking into getting a Ruger Mark, either regular or target, and have a opportunity to get a good deal on a Mark ii of either type but everywhere online says it is super hard to clean, unlike the iv. Is it worth the extra money for the 4?
LE,

IMHO, Simple answer...Yes, the MkIV is worth the extra $$$, for all the positive reasons mentioned from above owners!

However, if you desire a "special Ruger Mk .22 edition" (ex: a Stainless Standard, a Heavy taper barrel, a limited Anniversary edition, a NRA special release, a signed Ruger Signature cut, etc.), you'll want to look over the MkI, MkII or MkIII's in the market place sales! When I decided to get a Mk Standard last year, I desired a Stainless unit, but the MkIV was/is currently only available in blued. I purchased a MkII 6" Stainless Standard that looks and shoots Great!

Now for me, the take-down and re-assemble MkI-II-III issues are None Issues...taking just 10 seconds longer to achieve upper and lower separations and re-attachments! The cleaning process is very quick and straight forward (certainly Not super hard)! My Standard happen to be from an estate sale and had never been fired. Purchase used wisely, as a 10 to 40+ year old Mk may need some TLC. If so though, they are very self serviceable rimfires and if needed, Ruger has excellent customer service and a great reputation in making it perform like New!

Just My .02 cents, ;)

Ted

·
Registered
356 Posts
I love my MkII 678 Target

Maybe it's me, but I feel they are much cleaner looking, and a bit more accurate .... but not everyone has the patience to reassemble them

Here is (by far) the best Video out there on dis / re-assembling the MkII:

But seriously ....
There are a couple cool items out, that does make things WAY easier though:
The Majestic Arms Speed Strip (haven't tried this one myself):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-MARK-II-I-SPEED-STRIP-KIT-mk-I-II-Majestic-Arms-22-45-mk-III-bolt-hammer/143289318814?hash=item215cb57d9e:g:eaMAAOSwJytc~lKJ

And here's a very inexpensive fix
A simple drop-in Part, that works quite well
The Hammer Strut Support:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammer-Strut-Support-HSS-fits-Ruger-Mark-II-and-Mark-III-Pistols-/252989847429

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a couple of MkII’s and they are without a doubt two of my favorite guns I have ever owned. That said, the MkIV was a game changer. It’s the pistol that Ruger fans have wanted for years because it finally simplified the takedown process. I’d strongly recommend that anyone new to the Mk pistols should go with one of the MkIV’s.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have never let the issue of tear down and assembly effect whether or not I bought a particular gun. If it's more difficult, then I just learn it. I may be different than most. My Mark II Government Bull barrel was never regretted because it was slower to put back together. Some recommend the Mark II because of the trigger but I have never compared them. If I had to do the gun cleaning in the field or in war, that would matter, but I do mine on a work bench. To each his own.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I currently own a mark iv stainless target model, and I used to own a mark ii blued target mode (which I wish I hadn’t given up!), so I’ve got experience with both.
The out of box trigger of the Mark ii was infinitely better (although this could have been due to the 1000’s of rounds put through it); however, I put the VQ accurizing kit in my Mark iv which made it the best trigger I’ve ever seen ($100 for VQ kit, $50 for Victory trigger). On the other hand, The reliability of my Mark iv was much, much better, and the ease of takedown is a huge advantage given that I like to keep my guns very clean. The improved reliability could be the result of design advances (re-profiling the feed ramp for instance was done for the Mark iv), or it could be due to improved tolerances of the CNC machined frame and receiver, or it could just be ”luck of the draw”, or it could be due to the fact that I’m able to keep the Mark iv much cleaner due to the ease of takedown.
The thumb magazine release, drop free magazine release, very improved ambidextrous safety, and improved slide stop lever are all additional advantages in the Mark iv.
Personally, I’d probably go for the Mark iv and throw a trigger upgrade kit into it, but that would probably put you several hundred bucks over the price or the Mark ii at the very least. But you really can’t go wrong with the Mark ii either (it’s vastly superior to the Mark iii, for instance).
Anyway good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another thing: the blued Mark iv’s all have CNC machined aluminum frames, while the blued Mark ii’s have stamped carbon steel frames. I like the “CNC machined” part, but honestly I have a strong preference for steel framed guns, even 22’s (which is why I forked out a bit extra for the stainless steel target model). I’ve also heard that the “bluing” on the aluminum framed mark iv’s is a bit fragile.
So: if it’s between a Mark ii and an ALUMINUM frame Mark iv, I would have to recommend the Mark ii (just personal preference).

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Buy the MKIV .

Unless you are the kind of person who likes a challenge , climbs mountains because they are there , runs marathons just for fun .
The MKII or MKIII will test your abilities !

The MKIV is the lazy way , easy , effortless no sweat pistol .
I would buy one because I'm lazy but I mastered the MKI and MKII re assembly prior to their debut. Why go to the trouble of doing something the hard way when Ruger has developed an easy out .
Gary

·
One Star
9,629 Posts
I love and have 4 Mark IV's,my choice.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts