Ruger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Actually, no Hammer Strut "Fix" is needed in any of the Ruger Mk's...just follow the OM re-assembly directions Exactly! ;)

Ted

·
Registered
471 Posts
Actually, no Hammer Strut "Fix" is needed in any of the Ruger Mk's...just follow the OM re-assembly directions Exactly! ;)

Ted
Very true. I'm just trying to figure out how some people are managing to get the strut trapped during reassembly. :confused:

As far as I can see, the only way for the strut to become trapped is if the hammer gets rotated back after being forward. This happens during disassembly when the bolt is being removed. At no time is the hammer rotating back during reassembly (at least not in my reassembly process).

And even when/if the strut does become trapped, pointing the muzzle down and pulling the trigger makes the hammer fall forward and frees it again. At least that's the way it works if you haven't modified the trigger to eliminate all over travel.

I didn't modify my pistols because I had any trouble taking them apart or putting them back together. I modified them because I found the "Ruger Dance" to be stupid and completely unnecessary. Inserting/removing mags and pointing the pistol up/down is just pathetic IMO. KISS seems beyond Ruger's design engineers. Easy cleaning shouldn't be rocket science (or a 12 step dance).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I own a mark 1, 2 mark 2s & 2 mark 3s. I think the fit & finish is much better on the mark 2 and the stainless m2 is the best all around.
i'm going to agree... although i have used a MK IV and it is a good pistol...

i started out with a MK III stainless target, have now moved to all stainless MK II frames w/a MK III target, MK II slabside w/custom threading, and MK II/III 4.5" threaded Pac-Lite upper

i did this because i had an investment in a dozen MK III magazines, then found a MK II with six magazines...

unfortunately the MK IV is not backwards compatible with older uppers, frames or magazines (and some parts)...

additionally, the MK II frame is simple, rugged, and elegant with fewer moving parts, no insipid magazine disconnect, and no Hillary hole:

just my $0.02

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very nice Willie
Luvin' ever minute of it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this post is a bit old, but I’d like to put in my 2 cents (.47 adjusted for inflation)
I have multiples of each generation of ruger .22,s and while I am certainly not an expert, if it were my first one, I would get the MkIV (hunter with the standard wood grips!) for all of the reasons everyone else mentioned (ease of takedown, mag release on the side etc...) and find out why people love these guns! Then, once the addiction has taken hold, get a mkII and learn to take it apart, it’s not difficult, especially on a gun that has been properly taken care of. And then shoot a million rounds through both of them while contemplating your next ruger .22 purchase!
Either way, enjoy!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know this post is a bit old, but I’d like to put in my 2 cents (.47 adjusted for inflation)
I have multiples of each generation of ruger .22,s and while I am certainly not an expert, if it were my first one, I would get the MkIV (hunter with the standard wood grips!) for all of the reasons everyone else mentioned (ease of takedown, mag release on the side etc...) and find out why people love these guns! Then, once the addiction has taken hold, get a mkII and learn to take it apart, it’s not difficult, especially on a gun that has been properly taken care of. And then shoot a million rounds through both of them while contemplating your next ruger .22 purchase!
Either way, enjoy!
:eek: :cool: :D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
"Super Hard"? No, definitely not. Takes a bit of patience and learning? Definitely yes!

Mark II:
Once you get the knack of the Mark II disassembly/assembly, it's a piece of cake. There's also the Hammer Strut Tool available from many sources that makes it a bit easier.
There are a lot of YouTube videos to show you the finer points.

Mark IV:
One button take down, no problems with re-assembly. More money than a Mark II.

BOTH are excellent choices.

….
This about sums it up. Even a Mark III is easy to reassemble once you get the hang of it. It can be frustrating to LEARN. The other frustrating thing about Mark I-IIIs is that Ruger shipped them EXTREMELY TIGHT. Some of these danged things really took some physical pressure to disassemble and reassemble. After awhile they loosened up in my experience.
The Mark IV from what I see on You-Tube looks really easy to assemble from the get-go.
So those are your choices. Personally I kind of enjoy disassembly/reassembly of the Mark II-IIIs simply because I know that a lot of guys think it's hard. So I get a kick out of being good at it. But I can see how many would just as soon pass on having to acquire this skill.
I own a whole bunch of various Mark I-IIIs, so that might tell you how much I love these pistols. Don't have a Mark IVs because in Democrat-Occupied California we can't buy them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have a mkIV but I do have a standard. You just gotta learn the Ruger dance (or secret handshake as someone said earlier) it's not all that difficult. Do it a few times, go shoot it once a week for a while and clean it right after and you'll get it down quick. Difficult, no, but there are some tricks to it. I wouldn't pick one over the other because tricks needed for reassembly, id say there's no more trick to getting the strut in place as there is getting the slide stop pin through the barrel link in a 1911. Those Tupperware guns have spoiled everyone

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts