Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree with sling shot method,Ruger customer service agrees also,my bolt and bolt stop *** were peened and they said it was due to using bolt stop lever to release bolt instead of slingshot method

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,341 Posts
I think it's funny how Ruger hires people for customer services that are not qualified gunsmiths yet they give out bogus information and because they are in an "official" position, customers tend to believe them. It's very easy to determine normal wear from peening.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Hate to go against everybody's advice but I have always used the bolt stop lever to release the bolt on all of my MK pistols and have never had an issue with any of them. Have put 5000 rounds plus through the MK 11's and at least 3000 plus through the MK IV and no problem with it.

Worse case is maybe wear the end of the lever to the point where it would not stop the bolt. If that happens put a new lever in and keep on going.
Mee Too !

I been swimming against the current since 1969 , Stamdard , MKI Target and MKII Target . Nothing has ever been damaged by it and it's an easy fix if it does. Too old to change now...
Being the heretic that I am I also drop the slide on my 1911's like that .

The DI at Fort Polk did it that way...and in boot camp you did it his way , no questions asked .

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only reason I slingshot my pistols is because I'm left-handed. My trigger finger was not engineered in a manner to facilitate an easy release of the bolt stop.

If I were concerned about wearing out the bolt stop, I would order another one to have on standby in the event the installed one began to fail.

·
Registered
77 Posts
MC-5C,
You are wise to want to release the slide "the right way". But fact is, BOTH ways are acceptable. As was pointed out earlier, if they didn't want you to use the bolt stop/slide release, they wouldn't have made it with a ledge for you to push it down with your thumb. You aren't 'hurting' anything using it.

The whole 'slingshot' idea is to get in 'good habits' for when you have to run a 'tap/rack/bang' drill. If you are in the habit of 'racking the slide' (slingshot) then you will do that in the heat of the moment as that's what your muscle memory will know.

For what it is worth, I've been using the "safety" to release the bolt on my Mark I since the 1980s. That gun has to have nearly 8,000 rounds through it now. (On the Mark I's, the safety WAS/IS the bolt stop/bolt release!) The gun still works fine. No harm has been done.

But I'm trying to get 'in the habit' of slingshot-ing the slide these days so I do the same thing with ALL my guns. Why? Some of my centerfire pistols are so stiff, I can't release the slide with the slide stop/slide release lever! If I was using them in anger, I want to be in the habit of releasing the slide by slingshot-ing, so I'm doing that more and more with my Ruger Mark I and Mark IV (22/45). But I didn't switched because what I was doing was wrong or bad for the gun. So do what works for you and don't sweat it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Why not just shoot 11 rounds and drop your magazine, and insert another with ten rounds, and continue shooting etc. etc.. BTW while in the USMC, (1911 .45ACP) we would load with one in the chamber, and seven in the magazine, after shooting seven rounds we would drop the magazine and insert another magazine loaded with 7 rounds, etc. etc.. When I went on to the Police Department we did the same procedure in order to eliminate the time it took to drop the slide into firing position and regain your grip. Just a habit of counting the number of shots I fired, although I know the time saved may be insignificant, but then again it may not.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,341 Posts
Loose Noose, Something you may not know ….. most pistols (including all MK series pistols) are intended to be loaded with the bolt or slide locked back …. 10 round capacity max. This allows the magazine to seat very easily without having to palm smack the base of the magazine. If your magazine is fully loaded with 10 rounds and you insert it in the pistol with the bolt forward, you can damage the top few cartridges in the magazine and you may damage the magazine lips or latch and/or the latch in the gun itself. Damaged cartridges often result in a failure to feed plus don't forget …. 22 LRs are rimfire so if you smack the base of the magazine hard enough, you can actually cause the top cartridge to go bang!

1911 - 7 round magazines are an exception because they were actually designed for 8 rounds. The 7 round 1911 magazines have a longer leg on the follower so you can't quite get 8 rounds in it but there is enough room to seat a fully loaded mag without damaging the top cartridge or the magazine latch. By using a follower with a shorter leg, you can convert a 7 rounder into an 8 rounder but the total capacity of the 1911 is still 8 rounds because there isn't enough free space in the magazine to compress the column of cartridges with the slide forward.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Stainless steel MK III Target. Somewhere I got the idea that it was "good practice" to release the bolt by pulling back on the bolt and releasing it ("sling-shotting"), after inserting a fresh magazine. Then after a while I started using the bolt release lever on the side, since it falls very naturally under my left hand thumb in my firing stance and two-handed grip. I find I like it better at the range because I don't have to take my left hand off the weapon to grasp and release the slide, I keep my stance intact and I acquire a good target picture more readily.

What are the pro's and con's of using the bolt release lever instead of sling-shotting the bolt? If it matters I have the Volquartsen Volthane target grip and their matching bolt release lever.

Thanks, Brian
I have the only reason I can think of for why I slingshot instead of using the bolt stop. I have osteo-arthritis and it is particularly bad in my thumbs. I cannot release it without pain and so I modified my mkIII with the kane-wolf slingshot mod and a halo ring. Problem solved for me. Used it however is comfortable for you. Parts are not that expensive to replace even if you do break them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks, it I simple matter of reducing friction. If slingshot causes the bolt lock to be pushed down by spring action then that causes less friction than pulling the lever down and increasing friction in the release lever pivot pin and lever's face.

--ninjago

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Rugernijago,
Welcome to the forum. Will love to hear your comments in the future.

When the Ruger Mark IV came out I asked this question because I did not see it in the owners manual and wondered if they changed something in the Mark IV.

I had several comments on my post and on my new Mark IV 22/45 Tactical the release was so hard to move by thumb that I had to sling shot it. But I took the stop out and polished it and changed the angle just a bit and it now operates really well and I don't sling shot it any longer. Main reason is because a well respected Gunsmith that is on these sights, made the comment that it was no big deal to use the release. If it ever wears out they are cheap and easily replaceable. Kind of hit a home run in my mind. So I do use the sling shot method in my Marks I use the release in my 22/45 to see if it really does hurt anything. Which I do not believe it will. Plus I prefer to use the release.

So do as you would want or what makes you feel better. It's all good in my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I may be doing it wrong, but I don't care.....8000 rnds thru Ms. MKIII and have been using the bolt stop release the entire time. This gun works great for me and what I do with it and slingshoting it takes me out of rhythm. If I need to replace a worn part sometime in the future then so be it.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
MKI Target , MKII Standard and four different 1911's all get the bolts/slides released by the little lever ... but I don't dry fire any of them .
My Walther PPK gets the slingshot method because that's the way it was designed ...no little lever is on it .
Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always used the "slide release" on my MK2 Government. Thousands of rounds later and no issues. The same on my 1911.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like others, I use the bolt stop on my MKIII's to release the bolt. I use the slide stop as a release on all my semi-autos with the exception of two S&W Shields as they are almost impossible to use as a slide release.

Reading through this string reminded me that the owner's manual for my Coonan 357 calls it a both a Slide Release and Slide Catch. The operational portion specifically states to release the slide using the Slide Catch.

Manual for the Colt says to grip the slide and pull rearward. Don't think I ever read that manual before. In the Navy they always trained us to use the slide stop, so that's what I've always done.

·
Banned
107 Posts
The only thing that engenders more arguments than the old "slide stop vs slide release" controversy is "how, and how often, to clean your gun".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts