Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up and had the bolt open when I released the main spring latch. Now the lever is stuck open about a 1/2 inch and I can't get it to go back or open on up. What can I do. Tried the cocking and holding tigger while striking on the floor, no help.how can I post a photo?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Believe it or not this is a new one for me. I really will have to see a pic of this to evaluate. You have to have a photo hosting account to post a pic here on the forum. You can email a pic to me at my name and guntalk-online.com as the rest. I will take a look and devise a remedy for you.

R,
Bullseye

·
Super Moderator
16,323 Posts
Believe it or not this is a new one for me. I really will have to see a pic of this to evaluate. You have to have a photo hosting account to post a pic here on the forum. You can email a pic to me at my name and guntalk-online.com as the rest. I will take a look and devise a remedy for you.

R,
Bullseye
I was hoping that you would weigh in on this one Bullseye. Now I don't feel nearly as bad having never seen this issue before :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Best thing is not to disassemble a Ruger 22 auto. I'll do it on my Mark II when something breaks otherwise never. Most evil pistols I've ever dealt with. Clean it without taking it apart, it'll work.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
People often get their terminology a little mixed up, it isn't necessarily that I haven't seen this one before, I just need to see this particular problem because the description is not providing me with a visual picture of the actual circumstances. Could be an easy fix, or not, just depends on what the photo reveals. I haven't received a copy yet in my email, so I'll just have to wait to see.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bullseye, I emailed photo, must have been wrong address . Can you give me your email address ?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
PM me with your email address and I will send you a message you can reply to.

R,
Bullseye
The OP doesn't have enough posts to access the PM system yet (minimum is 10, IIRC)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks, I overlooked the post count. I did receive an email yesterday from the OP with the photo attached. I am currently formulating a remedy for him.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
947 Posts
OK, I have seen this happen before. What needs to be done is you must press the mainspring body back inward, toward the frame, then close the MS latch lever.

I use my left thumb to press the housing just below the scallop cut for accessing the latch and hold it as close to the frame as possible, then I start closing the latch lever. When you start the lever it will pry on the frame to fully close the housing. Once closed and locked, you can insert an empty magazine into the frame and then squeeze the trigger to drop the hammer. When the hammer is dropped and fully forward, you can open the latch and remove the MS housing, per the regular normal take-down procedures.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
947 Posts
I looked at this one again, including the original post, and thought, "What if the housing cannot be pressed back inward toward the frame?"

It is a little difficult for me to see in this picture but the bolt stop may not be fully seated upwards in the frame and receiver. I can see the rounded button on the top of the receiver in the provided picture, but it may not be fully into the frame. If this is the case... You can take a mallet and strike the very bottom of the MS Housing to fully seat the bolt stop into the receiver and frame, then follow the closing steps described in the previous posting. Take care not to mar your frame when seating the housing fully with the mallet.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 20 of 31 Posts