Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new MKIII Hunter yesterday afternoon. I was home in time enough to clean it and give it a try before dark. As I have been doing lately, whenever I get a new gun, I post the first target on the forum - good or bad.

First of all, it is a beautiful looking piece. I haven't shot it enough to get a feel for the "feel" of it. It worked flawlessly using Federal Match Target Bulk from Wally World.

The trigger pull measured at 3 lbs and 10 oz (average of 3 tests). Since my MKIII target and my MKIII 22/45 Talo have had VQ trigger jobs, the trigger did feel a bit heavy, but it was smooth. I will probably end up with the VQ kit in it as well as the mag release bushing.

As to the sights - I wasn't sure how I would like the V notch rear sight especially for windage, but it wasn't too bad. My shots left to right weren't that bad. As to sight picture for elevation - my first 2 shots was with the front sight slightly below the bullseye causing the them to hit above the target (where the arrow is). I ended up having to put the front sight dot on the very bottom of the black area of the target to get in the center. I may leave it that way as they were pretty consistent hits after aiming there. I want to get some more trigger time with it first. Shot standing, 2 hand hold at 15 yards.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Great Pistol :D. I see you're practicing at 15 yards .... Could this be the Div #1 contest pistol of choice ;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Looks like you had a super day. Impressive. You have a great gun. Looks almost like mine. I enjoy the range with that gun just like you do.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Pistol :D. I see you're practicing at 15 yards .... Could this be the Div #1 contest pistol of choice ;)
It could be!! I have only shot a total of 30 rds through it, so the jury is still out on the sights. It will be this or my 22/45 Talo or my Single Ten or.....????
Hopefully I will finally have some time this week to do a little shooting.
Veterans day week is always busy for me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
so what im hearing you say is you are using a 6 oclock hold?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what im hearing you say is you are using a 6 oclock hold?
Yes, the target in the photo is quite small with the black circle being 5 1/2" in diameter and the entire target is a little less than 6" wide and 7" high.
This is my "aim small miss small" target size.

I started with the top of the front sight at the bottom of the center circle which is 2" in diameter and that put the first shots just above the target (where the arrow is). Without adjusting the rear sight for elevation, I slowly brought the front sight down until it was just under the entire 5 1/5" black circle and that yielded hits near the center of the target.

Since then I used a more conventional target that is 8" in diameter at the outer ring and with a 3" diameter black 9 & 10 ring. I adjusted the sights down 10 clicks and used a 6 o'clock hold or sight picture #1 with the black 3" circle just on top of the front sight post. That yielded hits on the x ring.
I may keep the Hunter set up this way for bullseye shooting since my 65 year old eyes can see the bottom of the black better than the center of the black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts