Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With exception of barrel exterior shape, front sight, and grips, is there any difference between the Mark III Hunter and Mark III Competition?

I am looking to purchase a new Mark III for bullseye shooting.

I'll be installing a Red-Dot scope, so the front sight makes no difference for my purposes, and I would most likely install aftermarket target grips.

I actually prefer the looks of the fluted target barrel over the slab-sided target barrel.

Any insight you can offer on these two pistols would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have both and both have received the VQ trigger mods. The Comp has a more muzzle heavy balance and that may be an advantage in bullseye shooting. The Hunter has the fluted barrel, of course, which reduces barrel weight, so it holds a bit lighter at the muzzle.

Both are superbly accurate, but, if I had to pick one and only one to keep, my Hunter would be the one, but, then, I'm not doing any competitive shooting.

Here's a ten shot group with the Hunter, using a 2x Leupold scope, at 50 feet, CCI mini mags, from a rest. The orange dot measures 1". My Comp has shot similar groups.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input "North country gal", and nice group!

Even with the lighter fluted barrel, I've got to believe the Mark III Hunter will come up better than my Mark II 22/45 with 4.5" barrel.

Again, nice group!

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Here's a ten shot group with the Hunter, using a 2x Leupold scope, at 50 feet, CCI mini mags, from a rest. The orange dot measures 1". My Comp has shot similar groups.

Now thats what I call group therapy!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help you out any, but I'm shooting a Mark III 22/45 Hunter (now discontinued) and love it. It balances well, shoots accurately and is a fine gun to handle. I realize this isn't the exact model you asked about, but thought I'd share anyway. I have shot a friend's Slab Side and I didn't really see any discernible differences in groupings or feel (other than his was a MKIII and mine is the 22/45 MKIII).

You do get the upgraded sights with the Hunter model. I know you're using a red dot so it doesn't matter as much, but in case you ever wanted to run with the irons, you'd have the option and the fiber optic front/v-rear are a nice combination.

She's not quite as purdy as NorthCountryGal's Hunter, but I like her:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prefer the competition

I originally got a used MKIII 22/45 Hunter, now using a new slabsides competition model for bullseye. (Only been shooting bullseye for a year, barely a newbie). For bullseye ie onehanded target shooting, I prefer the balance and heft of the longer barrelled competition model. Never cared for the hunter sights either. Using a red dot for competition
Patsy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of great input!

I've got a fiberoptic front sight on my 22/45 MKII. The fiberoptic makes a huge difference for my nearly 50 year old eyes.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have both and both have received the VQ trigger mods. The Comp has a more muzzle heavy balance and that may be an advantage in bullseye shooting. The Hunter has the fluted barrel, of course, which reduces barrel weight, so it holds a bit lighter at the muzzle.

Both are superbly accurate, but, if I had to pick one and only one to keep, my Hunter would be the one, but, then, I'm not doing any competitive shooting.

Oh my goodness. That's a nice shooter. I have been considering putting some type of scope on my new MKII IIi 22/45 w/bull barrel. I like it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought the mark III competion, I like that added weight, 25 yards on rest was all within a nickle, nice gun back at Ruger for a problem,

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have both the Mark III Target and the Mark III Hunter and I would be hard-pressed to say which one I like better. I will say that the Hunter, with that 6.88" fluted barrel, is an exceptionally cool looking gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put new Volksquarten custom Voltane Target. Grips on my Competition SS Ruger III & it fails to feed rounds form the magazine. I need any advise on the probable cause & solution . JRivas

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you install the mag release button correctly? should move loosely in the grip. Is the mag installing all the way and locking in place? Did you install the new bolt release lever correctly? Does the bolt rack forward when you "sling-shot" release it or release it by pressing the bolt release lever, or does it not spring forward at all?

Odd to tag this on a 8 year old thread, better to have started a new one. Anyway, I have Volthane grips on my MKIII and zero issues.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hunter vs Comp

Greetings...

I have both, Since both shoot better than me, I wouldn't be able to say if
either is MORE accurate than the other. Personally, I seem to shoot better
with the Hunter, but I think that's really just me. That's the one I'd use if
it came down to it. But that's just me!:confused::cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts