Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Can a Mark III magazine be used in a Mark III 22/45 by swapping out the base plate ??

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,834 Posts
No, the grip angle is totally different.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D
No, the grip angle is totally different.
I thought possibly the magazines were the same, and the 22/45 base plate changed the insertion angle. My bad !! It doesn't !!

·
Registered
947 Posts
YES, you can! The metal magazine bodies are identical between them, the only difference is the style of plastic bottom block, which is interchangeable between the bodies.

The magazine angular difference is a common myth. While true that 22/45 models and metal framed models have different grip angles, the bottom blocks actually position the metal magazine bodies at the same angles in relation to each other. In the 22/45 models the pistol's grip angles are shallower (11°) and the plastic bottom blocks place the metal body across the polymer grip at the identical angle to its metal framed sibling. In the metal frames, the magazine bodies follow straight upward, parallel, to the grip (17°) but in the polymer versions the metal magazine bodies actually go up at an angle, from the back to the front of the grip, this places the two versions magazines at exactly the same angle to each other which is why both magazine versions use the same cartridge followers. The bottom block allows each to latch properly into its respective grip. These magazine bottom blocks also prevent one from directly swapping a magazine between the pistol models. Lay two magazines side by side, mark the bodies for model, swap their followers and install them in the new respective pistols, they'll operate exactly as they were intended.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)
YES, you can! The metal magazine bodies are identical between them, the only difference is the style of plastic bottom block, which is interchangeable between the bodies.

The magazine angular difference is a common myth. While true that 22/45 models and metal framed models have different grip angles, the bottom blocks actually position the metal magazine bodies at the same angles in relation to each other. In the 22/45 models the pistol's grip angles are shallower (11°) and the plastic bottom blocks place the metal body across the polymer grip at the identical angle to its metal framed sibling. In the metal frames, the magazine bodies follow straight upward, parallel, to the grip (17°) but in the polymer versions the metal magazine bodies actually go up at an angle, from the back to the front of the grip, this places the two versions magazines at exactly the same angle to each other which is why both magazine versions use the same cartridge followers. The bottom block allows each to latch properly into its respective grip. These magazine bottom blocks also prevent one from directly swapping a magazine between the pistol models. Lay two magazines side by side, mark the bodies for model, swap their followers and install them in the new respective pistols, they'll operate exactly as they were intended.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye
Thankyou !! You confirmed what I thought may be true. I have 11 Mark III magazines, and only 4 Mark III 22/45 magazines. Now I can convert if I can find the bottoms for less than the price of new magazines ! Can you help me there also ??

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,834 Posts
Bullseye, I learned something new today, thanks to you. When you look at the two magazines individually ... no way do the bodies look alike, however when you put them together, the bodies are indeed the same. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both Bullseye and Iowegan !! Being a handgun nut and "hobby" gunsmith for 40 years, I think these types of information-sharing dialogues are the most interesting on the whole Forum.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Iowegan said:
Bullseye, I learned something new today, thanks to you. When you look at the two magazines individually ... no way do the bodies look alike, however when you put them together, the bodies are indeed the same. Thanks!
No problem brother, we are all on the same team. Thanks for the compliment but I'm just returning the favor you have done for many, including me, over the years. I work on hundreds of these a year and everyday it seems like I'm learn something new. I'm glad to be in such great company!

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
947 Posts
:)

Thankyou !! You confirmed what I thought may be true. I have 11 Mark III magazines, and only 4 Mark III 22/45 magazines. Now I can convert if I can find the bottoms for less than the price of new magazines ! Can you help me there also ??
There used to be a time where you could buy all the magazine parts and assemble a new one for less than a price of the new magazines. Hoarders killed that with Ruger. Ruger was actually disassembling fully manufactured magazines to fulfill all the orders for magazine parts - at far less than the retail cost. Naturally, they put a stop to that once they realized that all those parts were being reassembled back into complete magazines and sold on fleabay. I believe you still may be able to acquire the bottom blocks at shopruger.com but they will not sell all the parts to assemble a complete magazine.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts