Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other than the grip angle (and the associated internal changes due to it) are there any major differences between the two models - particularly in accuracy? I ask because the .22/45 seems to be considerably less expensive.

FWIW, we're looking at the 5", bull-barrel, adjustable sight version of both models.

Preacher Man

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,968 Posts
The accuracy in a MK III comes from the barrel. The grip frame and associated parts shouldn't have any bearing on accuracy outside of trigger pull. In other words, there shouldn't be a lick of difference between the two because they share the same receiver and barrel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I suspected to be the case, but not familiar with the Ruger's auto .22s, wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Preacher

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the poly frame of the 22/45 is the reason of it's lower cost. My 22/45 shots as well as my standards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This whole search started for my father-in-law, but after shopping with him last weekend, I think I need a new Ruger, too!

After handling both the .22/45 512 and MKIII 512 at a LGS, I'm leaning toward the MKIII for myself (Dad liked the .22/45). He had the 5 1/2 bull-barrel model in the store, and was expecting a 6 7/8 tapered ("Target") barrel coming in in the next couple days. Price is +/- a few bucks either way. Any appreciable difference between the two barrel lengths as far as accuracy or velocity? Accd to Ruger's website & catalog, the longer barrel is actually 1 oz lighter. Open sights, theoretically the longer barrel would give a better sight picture. I'm planning on setting this up with optics first chance I get. This will mostly be a range gun, but if I get a chance to pop a few tree rats, I'll jump on it.

Preacher

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've shot both and agree that they are both very fine pistols. I prefer the metal frames for whatever reason. Handle a few of each, and get the one that catches your eye and feels good in the hand. JMO though...

JJ

·
16,968 Posts
preacher_man, If you plan to install optics, make sure the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope base. I know all the MKIIIs with adjustable sights are D&T and come with a Weaver style scope base and screws ... if memory serves me, the fixed sight models are NOT D&T nor do they include the scope base.

I've owned several MK IIs in various barrel lengths and now own a KMKIII512. They have all been tack drivers. The longer barrel does increase MV by about 70 fps ... not enough to worry about. Sight radius is also increased but because the bull barrel MK IIIs have such good iron sights (fully adjustable) I really doubt you will gain much in open sight accuracy. With optics, the sight radius is a mute point. My MKIII with a 2X scope from a bench rest will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yds with cheap Federal bulk pack ammo. With a red dot, I get 1/2" groups at 25 yards. I haven't tried this MKIII with target grade ammo and doubt I ever will ... because I'm the weak link in accuracy, not the pistol.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There is only one way to decide between the steel frame and the polymer frame, put them in hand. Only by holding them could you determine wich is better for your hand. As far as barrel length goes I do not think it matters if you are going to scope it. I have a 4 inch bull barrel version, MK4BL, with target sights and have no problems shooting it. Targets tremble before me, and the occasional tree rat falls a long way and hits the ground hard.:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
The "hold it" test has some value and all so some short comings. I didn't like the grip on the 22/45 based holding it. Then I ran across a 22/45 at Gander Mountain for a price I couldn't turn down. Turns out the skinny grip wasn't that bad. It makes a great compliment to my steel Rugers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good thing on the 22/45 is its same angle as a 1911 for us 1911 shooters i do wish the grip was little thicker.. Im getting ready to pick up a 22/45 Hunter

·
16,968 Posts
Bud, There's a neat thing you can do to your 22/45 ... have the polymer grip frame machined and screw bushings installed so standard 1911 grip panels will work. It ,may open up a whole new world!

I started shooting serious 1911 bullseye competition in the early 70s. My first bullseye 22 pistol was a MK I target model. It took me all of a second to adapt to the different grip angle after shooting my Colt Govt Mod so I really can't see the big attraction to the 22/45' grip angle. I now shoot a KMKIII512 and still shoot my many 1911s .... still no transition problems between the two. Do others find the grip angle a real problem?

I installed Hogue rubber wrap around finger groove grips on my MK III. These really fit me well and improve my scores considerably. Personally, I think the grip-to-hand fit is a lot more important for accuracy than grip angle.

·
Banned
700 Posts
The Hogue wrap around grips were a real improvement for me. Something about the comfort zone that provided confidence maybe. I've now purchased Hogues for all my rimfire handguns including a Single Six. It's made a tremendous difference ..and a real bargain!

SD

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bud, There's a neat thing you can do to your 22/45 ... have the polymer grip frame machined and screw bushings installed so standard 1911 grip panels will work. It ,may open up a whole new world!

I started shooting serious 1911 bullseye competition in the early 70s. My first bullseye 22 pistol was a MK I target model. It took me all of a second to adapt to the different grip angle after shooting my Colt Govt Mod so I really can't see the big attraction to the 22/45' grip angle. I now shoot a KMKIII512 and still shoot my many 1911s .... still no transition problems between the two. Do others find the grip angle a real problem?

I installed Hogue rubber wrap around finger groove grips on my MK III. These really fit me well and improve my scores considerably. Personally, I think the grip-to-hand fit is a lot more important for accuracy than grip angle.
I agree hand fit is very important.. i heard about bushings before for grips any links to who does them?>

·
16,968 Posts
Bud, Most any decent machine shop can cut the polymer grip frame down. You need a 1911 frame for a pattern and a set of 1911 grips so the grip screw bushings are spaced right. After the mod, you can use any grips that are made for a standard 1911.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got all that i just dont know a good machine shop..lol

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
I don't have a problem with the grip angle on my MKIII512 in comparison to my P95 or 1911. I generally take all three to the range just to stay comfortable with each of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Disassembly/Re-assembly

Is there any difference in Disassembly/Re-assembly for the Ruger MKIII & MKIII 22/45?

As the MKIII has been quite the PITA.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 22/45 field strips and reassembles just like the MKIII. Ruger's instructions can be a bit hard to follow. At least they were for me the first time through. There were a couple of "Oh, that's what they mean" times. Like anything, a bit of practice and the Ruger isn't much of a mystery to field strip. This link has a better description.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also thought about the 22/45 because of the price....until I held it. The grip is too long and narrow for me. But it's all up to you. I decided to order the KMKIII512.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts