Ruger Forum banner

Mark IV 40112 (Competition) - First impressions

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Theo98 
#1 ·
Got the call today from my FFL, 40112 "500" series ready for pick up! Dropped everything and ran over there.

I've always shot my dad's MKIII bull barrel, but I must say I really dig this 6.8" slab side barrel, suits me just fine!

Initial changes made; changed the grips out to the Hunter series dark wood 1/2 smooth. My wife is a lefty and the thumb rest had to go. The stock magazine release extension is not too easy to access with the thumb rest grip, but with the Hunter grips its super easy now.

Initial concern; Out of the box the slide lock control rattled when the gun was turned from side to side. Not as bad when the mag is in but still there. So I did the typical clean and lube, put a tad bit more lube at the slide lock and bam it worked! No more rattle! Probably have to rinse and repeat as I go. No biggie.

Bought Volquarsen bedding gel and loktight just in case things loosen up later. But everything seem really solid out of the box now.

Stock magazines load well. The gun looks great! Not as heavy as some say, but I'm used to my full-size Beretta 92fs.

Bought some 40gr. federal ammo and can't wait to get it out to the range tomorrow!

I'll update with my first MKIV range experience.

See less See more
#2 ·
TEX,

Hello and Welcome to the RF!

Congrats on your MkIV Comp...very nice shooter!!

If you have any federal ammo issues, the CCI Mini Mag 40gr HV CPRN 1235fps works great in the new MkIV's. Shoots clean, cycles actions reliably and is very accurate!

Pics at a later date are welcomed...some will say, mandatory!! :cool:

Ted

#4 ·
Just got back from the range and it shot great! Nothing backed out and nothing loosened up. 50 rds @ 15 yrds and 50 @ 25 yrds. Grouped just fine, if my target was 6" steel you'd hear every shot.

Issues; no stove piping, FTF and no soft strikes.

Ammo; Federal Automatch 40grn @ 1200 fps and Winchester Hollow Point Copper Platted 36grn @ 1280 fps.

Other items; my slide lock didn't start rattling, stayed put! And opened her up and she's decently clean.

I think I've got a keeper! I'll update this post if I run into anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.