Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new Ruger Mark IV Stainless Target about a month ago, and it has quickly become my all time favorite plinking pistol. I upgraded it with a VQ Accurizing Kit, Tandemkross Victory trigger and some hogue overmolded grips, and man that thing can shoot. I've put about 500 rounds down the pipe of various ammo, and I've had perfect reliability and function with outstanding accuracy. Also: please note that I have NEVER used the bolt stop as a bolt release, as I know this is a cause for accelerated wear of the bolt.
So: While cleaning the pistol last week, I noticed some peening-type wear on the lower right portion of the bolt face. Apparently I don't have enough posting activity to be allowed to post links to pictures, so I'll try to describe the peening: It basically resembles a circular "cup" shape which is maybe 0.5 - 1 mm across. It's not yet deep enough to be detectable while sliding your fingernail over the "cup" shape.
This peening is clearly being caused by the bolt stop making contact with the bolt face. After inspecting the bolt stop, I found that the side which makes contact with the bolt face is not entirely flat: there is a small "nub" on the upper edge of the bolt stop which, I believe, matches up perfectly with the peening I see on the bolt face. It seems that other mark iv owners have seen similar wear (as discussed in the thread titled "bolt damaged by bolt stop" on this forum).
I contacted Ruger, and they agreed to send me a new bolt stop; however, upon receiving the new bolt stop, I saw that the new one has a basically identical profile (nub included).
So here are my questions:
  1. Do other mark iv owners see similar wear on their bolt faces?
  2. Could this be a somewhat intentional design choice? It seems to me that the peening will be self-limiting: eventually, the "nub" on the bolt stop will form a matching little cup shape on the bolt face, and it seems that the wear should stop at that point. This could almost be beneficial, as the nub/cup combo would help hold the bolt stop up.
  3. I'm considering smoothing the new bolt stop down so that the leading edge is perfectly flat (i.e. no more nub) and trying this one out. Good idea?
I'm pretty hesitant to send the gun back in to Ruger, both because I would need to remove all the aftermarket parts before doing so, and because I've just been so happy with the gun in every other respect. So, unless someone can convince me that this wear is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed, I probably won't go that route.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Seems to be an epidemic... ErickS in Holland is having the same problem. See his post and photo's
the link in post #2 !
Call Ruger and see what's going on...this isn't proper .
Gary

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did, but only after I posted this thread. I added a comment on that post. I’d be interested to hear an update from some of those folks. Seemed like the general consensus was “wait and see”.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did call Ruger, and the response was basically “we can’t tell you anything unless you send your pistol in.”. I might try again since their seems to be quite a bit of variability between CS reps; some seem willing to talk on and on, while others seem very tight lipped (this one was the latter).
It’s also notable that the manufacture date of my Mark iv was in the second half of 2017, which is right around the time that other thread was made. Perhaps there was a run of Mark iv bolts that missed a hardening step? On the other hand, it might make sense if the bolt bodies were made of a softer steel than the receiver by design. This would help protect the breach face from wear. Just a theory...

·
Super Moderator
4,834 Posts
When I get home from work, I am going to check my MKIV, but if it was me, I would bite the bullet and send it in to Ruger just to make sure its right. Post an update, but if they see enough of a response from customers, maybe it will trigger a recall if there was in face a lot of bolts that missed the hardening step.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My MK IV has only had about 500 rnds through it and its showing wear in that area. I do use the thumb bolt release to drop the slide.

Watching thread

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My MkIV has several thousand rounds through it and, while there is a slight rub mark on the bolt face where the hold-open hits, it's minor and I see no cause for alarm. It's certainly not like the pictures in the referenced thread.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My MK IV has around 450 rounds through it, and no marks/peening of the bolt bottom like the pics in that linked thread.
I slingshot the bolt to chamber a round, I don't use the bolt stop to drop the bolt.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Looked at the bolt on my MKIV this afternoon no mark on the bolt from the bolt stop. Have close to 4000 rounds through mine so far.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Looks like at least a few of you are seeing similar wear (@grizz12, @GP Fan), while others are seeing little or no wear in this area. For those of you who aren't seeing any wear here: What does the profile of your bolt stop look like? Any sign of a "nub" on the edge that makes contact with the bolt, or is it perfectly flat? For those of you who ARE seeing some level of wear/peening: What is the manufacture date of your pistol? (You can figure this out by going to the Ruger home page and navigating to "serial number lookup" in the "pistols" drop down menu). One of my working theories is that this wear is seen in pistols manufactured in late 2017, but I don't have much evidence to back that up.
Like I said earlier: I am personally very hesitant to send my gun back to Ruger, mostly because I've filled it with aftermarket parts which I would have to remove prior to mailing it back in. And, unfortunately, the last CS rep I spoke to said that mailing only the bolt body in was not an option, which is something I would be much more open to doing. I'm going to try calling them again tomorrow to see if I get a CS rep who is more willing to work with me.
For the folks that ARE seeing this wear: Does anyone want to volunteer to bite the bullet and send their gun back to the mothership? You could then report back to us once the diagnosis comes back. You'd be doing the rest of us a real solid. And I might even consider ordering you some bulk 22 target ammo as a gift if you help solve this mystery ;).
I've found at least a few threads on other forums that describe very similar wear occurring on nearly new firearms, so clearly this issue is somewhat widespread. Most of these threads originate from 2017 or 2018, which does a little to support my theory that perhaps a string of bolt bodies were manufactured incorrectly.
One last question: Does anyone know how many posts you have to make before you can include links to pictures?? I've got some pics of the bolt face and bolt stop on flickr I'd like to include on this thread, but apparently I haven't posted enough :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
664 Posts
...One last question: Does anyone know how many posts you have to make before you can include links to pictures?? I've got some pics of the bolt face and bolt stop on flickr I'd like to include on this thread, but apparently I haven't posted enough :rolleyes:.
T613,

One more post, and you're there! Believe "10" post gets you in the graces of the PPG (photo posting gods)!! ;)

Ted

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had the same issues with my Mk2 slabside competition model,sent back to Ruger replaced slidestop and bolt,it was a mk 3 bolt with cut out for loaded chamber indicator,no more Mk 2 bolt available,said to slingshot bolt,not to use bolt stop to release bolt

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2019 Mark IV Hunter has the same ding. I’ve fired several thousands of rounds thru it. I haven’t noticed it before this thread.

I have a newer never fired Mark IV Standard in the safe that has the “makings” of the mark on the bolt face just by a few dry fires and trigger pull measurements and working the action. I’m sure it will have the same mark after some firing. The reason I haven’t fired it is because it’s supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife. She was going to pay me for it but I told her to put the money on the grandkids.

Joe

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys,
I finally reached the magic number of posts which allows me to be able to include links in my posts, so here's a link to a Flickr album with a two pics showing the wear to the bolt face (circled in red), and two pics showing the nub on the bolt stop:

Ruger Mark IV Bolt Face Damage from Bolt Stop

As you can see, the peening is pretty minimal, but keep in mind that this is after only 500 or so rounds.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi guys,
I finally reached the magic number of posts which allows me to be able to include links in my posts, so here's a link to a Flickr album with a two pics showing the wear to the bolt face (circled in red), and two pics showing the nub on the bolt stop:

Ruger Mark IV Bolt Face Damage from Bolt Stop

As you can see, the peening is pretty minimal, but keep in mind that this is after only 500 or so rounds.
Thats very similar to what mine looks like

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@Joe A.

Wow, that's interesting that even a "never fired" Mark IV would show this ding. My thinking was that the "ding" was caused by the high inertia of the bolt after firing the final round (the bolt flies back, "bounces off" the hard stop, and slams into the bolt stop). However, they do test fire these guns at the factory, so maybe that was enough already to cause a bit of wear.
Also: great choice for an X-Mas gift for your wife! She's a lucky lady :).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats very similar to what mine looks like
Do you have any interest in sending your pistol back to the factory to be looked at? The only reason I haven't sent mine back already is because I would have to remove all the aftermarket parts I've put in it.
I've never had a bad experience with Ruger customer service, and have never regretted sending a firearm in for repair. I've currently got a GP100 which is about to be mailed back to me, and I've been particularly impressed with their customer service this time around. Check out the last post in this thread for a description of my experience so far:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/379803-gp100-endshake-shim-not-shim.html

If you do decide to send your pistol in, I would strongly recommend including a note saying something along the lines of "Please have gunsmith call me directly after diagnosing the problem but prior to completing work". This has worked out well for me every time!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Do you have any interest in sending your pistol back to the factory to be looked at? The only reason I haven't sent mine back already is because I would have to remove all the aftermarket parts I've put in it.
I've never had a bad experience with Ruger customer service, and have never regretted sending a firearm in for repair. I've currently got a GP100 which is about to be mailed back to me, and I've been particularly impressed with their customer service this time around. Check out the last post in this thread for a description of my experience so far:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/379803-gp100-endshake-shim-not-shim.html

If you do decide to send your pistol in, I would strongly recommend including a note saying something along the lines of "Please have gunsmith call me directly after diagnosing the problem but prior to completing work". This has worked out well for me every time!
I won't be sending it back until it breaks, if that ever happens

FWIW I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Ruger CS and would not be hesitant if I had another issue to deal with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2019 MkIV that was ordered from the distributer and picked up at my LGS one week ago has the beginning of peening. I put 20 rounds through it to check operation, changed internals to VQ plus VQ extended bolt stop, then shot another 180 through it - so 200 rounds total.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts