Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No harm done, the shrapnel hit my face with the force as if one threw it underhand on me this morning. But yeah, not a nice thing to have happen. I got the Mark IV target just in the summer, from what I've picked up here in the forum my gun was jamming more then most.
I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic of it. One bullet partially in the barrel, another one on top of that one and what remained of the exploded bullet fragments behind those two (pictured here) I was using CCI stinger,it was about the only bullet I tried that fired mostly consistently. Already on it's way to Prescott Az.
Funny, the guy in front of me was mailing a handgun back also, and was really surprised to hear it was a ruger as was his was. Not joking then the Fedex women waiting on us said her dogs name was ruger, weird morning !

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ruger guy I talked to on the phone asked me what I was shooting and I told him, he didn't say anything about not using it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my vemon red dot scope, mounted where rear sight was, it was practically at ground zero but fortunately I don't see a scratch on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I didn't know you could run stingers in a mark 4.
the ruger guy I talked to on the phone asked me what I was shooting and I told him, he didn't say anything about not using it....
I didn’t know that either, but since I’m about to order a Mark IV Competition; I checked the Ruger website. This is what it says:

Question: What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger® .22 pistol?

Answer: The Ruger® .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for pointing that out, I normally use the high velocity rounds but was getting the better performance from the stinger up until this morning.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sorry OP, how did this happen? Am I reading it right that it was an out-of-battery discharge caused by the jam, aka it jammed hard enough, in such a way that it set off one of the cartridges?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you had multiple bullets jammed in the barrel, it sounds like you had a squib round then kept firing?? Sounds to me like an ammo problem.
This has happened to lots of people with centerfire. Squib round sticks in barrel. Shooter shoots additional rounds. They all jamb in until the gun can’t take anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A squib could be from bad ammo, but it could also be from firing out of battery.
A squib load is a load with primer and no powder. That round sticks in the barrel, following shots stack up. Until the given firearm can’t take it.

I’m only guessing squib from the OP description of multiple bullets in the barrel.

Or did I misunderstand and it was only one round fired that did this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A squib load is a load with primer and no powder. That round sticks in the barrel, following shots stack up. Until the given firearm can’t take it.

I’m only guessing squib from the OP description of multiple bullets in the barrel.

Or did I misunderstand and it was only one round fired that did this?
I'm not sure quite what happened. I think I had a misfire to start things off. After the incident the incident I took the barrel off and looked through the barrel and it was unobstructed.
I did try shooting the gun again, completely shielding my face, I know probably not a bright idea. The gun then kept misfiring, the bolt stop then appear to be not closing the whole way. I switched to the other mag and it fired ok ?! This squib thing, that doesn't have anything to do with hyper velocity rounds does it ?
I noticed once in the summer, I was shooting over a small body of water, the firing sounded like a dud and a couple seconds later I heard the bullet plop in the water, this was when using high velocity rounds rather then hyper.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,154 Posts
Allegheny7147, By common definition, a squib is a bullet that stuck in the bore …. for what ever reason. Yes, usually it is a weak powder charge but it can definitely be from firing a cartridge out of battery. MK Series pistols have a disconnector that prevents the gun from going full auto. Many people think this device is to prevent firing "out of battery" …. not true. You can do an experiment to prove this with an empty MK series pistol …. pull the bolt all the way back then ease it forward a fraction of an inch at a time and pull the trigger each time. You will find the gun will not dry fire (sear disconnected) until the bolt is about 1/4" from full battery. If a MK series pistol is fired without going to full battery, the thin brass case head will blow out and vent most of the pressure out of the ejection port …. leaving just enough pressure to start the bullet down the bore and get stuck. What's left of the case from firing a cartridge in an out of battery condition looks exactly like the remnants in the OP's photo.

Time for a "chew out". When you buy a new gun, I firmly believe you have an obligation to read the owner's manual …. every single page. By using ammo not intended for your MK IV, it could have resulted in a serious injury to you or a bystander … possibly a damaged gun too. Please read your owner's manual before you shoot the gun again …. you might just learn something.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, thanks Iowegan. I only went to the hyper velocity rounds after having so many jams with the high velocity rounds. So what happened is a direct result of using these hyper V. rounds ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If a MK series pistol is fired without going to full battery, the thin brass case head will blow out and vent most of the pressure out of the ejection port …. leaving just enough pressure to start the bullet down the bore and get stuck.
That's what I figured happened. But of course, yes it could be from bad ammo.

I only went to the hyper velocity rounds after having so many jams with the high velocity rounds. So what happened is a direct result of using these hyper V. rounds ?
I doubt it. I would send it in and have it checked out. The only reason you don't have a bunch of damage is because it was a .22.

It doesn’t get much better than CCI, so I would play it safe and assume the gun malfunctioned instead of bad ammo.

·
16,154 Posts
Allegheny7147,
So what happened is a direct result of using these hyper V. rounds ?
Probably so …. CCI Stingers have longer cases than normal 22 LRs and as such, they are not well suited for any semi-auto rifle or pistol …. unless the manufacture says it's OK. What probably happened was a longer Stinger case tried to seat in a shorter chamber (intended for normal 22 LRs), which prevented the bolt from fully closing. Keep in mind …. Stingers are loaded a lot hotter than normal 22 LRs so that is also a contributing factor. MK Series pistols are direct blow back operated …. meaning nothing locks the bolt in position when the gun fires, only tension from the recoil spring. 22 LRs will surprise you …. they develop about 24,000 psi chamber pressure so it's a bit more involved than a sneeze.

On very rare occasions, MK series pistols will fire when not in full battery. This is caused by crud build up in the chamber or from cartridges with "fat bullets" that prevent full battery chambering. Crud build up could have been a factor in your incident …. was the gun thoroughly cleaned before you started shooting it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
On very rare occasions, MK series pistols will fire when not in full battery.
As someone who is just about to buy a MK IV, this is not encouraging. The fact that the gun could go off when not full into battery would be a total turn off for me.

I had an out of battery experience with a Sig Mosquito several years ago. My face was peppered with brass. It was only about 3 months old. I sent the gun back to Sig along with lots of photos and they replaced it with a new gun that I have Never trusted. If I have that to look forward to with an MK IV, I will probably decide against one.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Iowegan, spot on explanation.

·
16,154 Posts
wingspar, I can't think of any 22 LR pistols that CAN'T be fired when not in full battery so if this disqualifies a MK IV, it will also disqualify just about every brand and model of 22 LR pistols. Centerfire pistols typically have some sort of disconnector that prevents out of battery firing.

If you think MK series pistols are bad, try a 10/22 rifle or Charger ….. nothing prevents them from firing when the bolt starts forward …. except time. Most people can't operate the trigger fast enough to cause an out of battery discharge but it does happen on occasion. Try it sometime …. the hammer will release as soon as the bolt starts moving. Millions have been sold, just like MK series pistols so it must not be a big deal, unless you use the wrong/bad ammo or don't keep the gun clean.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Iowegan - I bought my 10/22 well used with signs of light rust on the outside years ago and have never had any problems with it. It cleaned up nice, but it’s been years since I have shot it. If all .22 pistols are constructed the same and all can fire out of battery, then I’ve learned something. The MK is a very popular line of pistols and has been for a very long time starting with the Standard in 1949.

My Glocks will not fire when out of battery at all, so I assumed all handguns were designed that way. I used to clean guns right after firing them, but don’t do that anymore. Most of my guns don’t care if I ride them hard and put them away dirty.

I have always wondered why .22's and pistol caliber carbines are all blow back actions and get real dirty fast.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts