Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can you clarify this statement. Are you saying they have to send it to an FFL for a barrel replacement/repairs or when they replace the entire firearm with a new one?
Ruger generally wants you to send the entire pistol in for repairs (not just the upper). If they determine the barrel or receiver needs replaced, they just replace the entire pistol rather than change out barrels. At least that was my experience sending in a MKIII with a crooked chamber. The new pistol then goes to an FFL and not directly back to you.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Mark, Ruger MK series pistols have the serial number stamped on the barrel assembly. Serial numbered frames or assemblies are treated just like an assembled gun so yes, an FFL has to be involved.

Thanks Iowegan, that clears it up for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Mark, Ruger MK series pistols have the serial number stamped on the barrel assembly. Serial numbered frames or assemblies are treated just like an assembled gun so yes, an FFL has to be involved.
Right off hand I don't know a FFL in my area, if I don't suggest one will they ship it to one close by ?

The ruger guy told me to take any accessory off the gun, I did take the scope off but left the mount on (that was hard to get rear sight off) hope they install the mount if I get a new gun. I told him I had upgraded the grips but said I can leave those on....

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right off hand I don't know a FFL in my area, if I don't suggest one will they ship it to one close by ?
They will ask you to pick one. Buds, Grab a gun, GunBroker, all those online places list dealers in your area that have a copy of their FFL with them. One of those would probably already have a copy of their FFL on file with Ruger, but if not could quickly do it. They may suggest someone if you don't know anyone.

Sending it back to Ruger is the right/safe thing to do. Chances are you will feel better knowing they fixed the problem. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say when you get it back, but if they are like S&W; you will have to call and talk to someone to find anything out.

You need a local FFL that wants transfer business anyway. It saves you a whole bunch of money when buying new.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Take off every accessory / non Ruger item...yes , remove the mounts .
Ruger will not replace, pay for or fix any non Ruger parts sent to them along with your gun, good chance they might get damaged and/or lost ... that's why the tech. told you to remove them .

I wouldn't even leave the grips on....why take the chance of them getting lost in the shuffle !
Gary

·
Registered
3,198 Posts

The ruger guy told me to take any accessory off the gun, I did take the scope off but left the mount on (that was hard to get rear sight off) hope they install the mount if I get a new gun. I told him I had upgraded the grips but said I can leave those on....
Just look for any gun shop around you, or the place you purchased the pistol. Really, any place that sells firearms. I would give them a call and explain to them what is happening and if they would be willing to perform the transfer. As mentioned above, there will be a cost associated, normally between $20-$50 but it sounds like Ruger will reimburse you.

If you are still looking for an FFL, here is the gunbroker FFL list for you to help find one. I would recommend a shop that sells Rugers since it is more likely they will already have the FFL on file. I would bet that if it was a guy that does transfers out of his house, it is more likely that you might get caught trying to coordinate getting a copy of the FFL to Ruger.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just look for any gun shop around you, or the place you purchased the pistol. Really, any place that sells firearms. I would give them a call and explain to them what is happening and if they would be willing to perform the transfer. As mentioned above, there will be a cost associated, normally between $20-$50 but it sounds like Ruger will reimburse you.

If you are still looking for an FFL, here is the gunbroker FFL list for you to help find one. I would recommend a shop that sells Rugers since it is more likely they will already have the FFL on file. I would bet that if it was a guy that does transfers out of his house, it is more likely that you might get caught trying to coordinate getting a copy of the FFL to Ruger.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index
thanks guys, good information.... I hope most of it comes back to me in one piece, I've just been having too much fun with this gun and scope the past several months as you can see in the pic...... After getting a couple of squirrels I thought of going for a squirrel grand slam, red,gray,fox and black squirrels ! and accomplished it. Kept on hunting and things fell into place to doing it again, to date I've gotten another gray,fox and black squirrel recently. I just need the "common" red squirrel. I got two reds real early in the fall,moved on from that location and haven't seen another red for months of hunting, almost every day weather permitting. My only hope is to go back where I reds months ago. I guess, in a way you could say I got two gland slams as I call it but I want to do it in the proper sequence. So I'm very much looking forward to getting my gun back. It's a target model but it's definitely a hunter !

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I just got an email from fedex saying a package was on it's way from Prescott Az It just got there yesterday, very quick turnaround ! Hopefully there's some explanation concerning repairs along with the gun ?!

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,627 Posts
Look forward to your update! That was a fast turnaround for sure. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The most likely reason Ruger doesn't want us to use ammo such as Stingers (the longer case is to allow for more powder, from what I've been told) is that they will batter the receiver and other parts beyond what the gun was designed for. However, another reason not to use them is the the longer case can peen the leade area (throat) of the barrel causing accuracy problems with standard ammo. Occasional use should not hurt anything. It sounds as though the OP has a problem with his pistol that causes jams with regular ammo and should be returned to Ruger to find out why. Any time your firearm requires "magnum" or hot loads to operate properly, there's problem that needs to be addressed, either mechanical or springs.
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Not a .22, but I had case fail in my SR1911 about a year or so ago. Shrapnel hit my face and also put a nick in one of the lenses in my eyeglasses. Almost everyone wears ear protection at our range, but I just shake my head at how often I see shooters there without eye protection. We even have free safety goggles members can borrow. If I hadn’t been wearing glasses I would likely have lost an eye.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The most likely reason Ruger doesn't want us to use ammo such as Stingers (the longer case is to allow for more powder, from what I've been told) is that they will batter the receiver and other parts beyond what the gun was designed for. However, another reason not to use them is the the longer case can peen the leade area (throat) of the barrel causing accuracy problems with standard ammo. Occasional use should not hurt anything. It sounds as though the OP has a problem with his pistol that causes jams with regular ammo and should be returned to Ruger to find out why. Any time your firearm requires "magnum" or hot loads to operate properly, there's problem that needs to be addressed, either mechanical or springs.
Cheers,
crkckr
when I initiated the return process I told the ruger guy that I've had an ongoing problem with jams using regular ammo so I hope that was recorded and addressed....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Not a .22, but I had case fail in my SR1911 about a year or so ago. Shrapnel hit my face and also put a nick in one of the lenses in my eyeglasses. Almost everyone wears ear protection at our range, but I just shake my head at how often I see shooters there without eye protection. We even have free safety goggles members can borrow. If I hadn’t been wearing glasses I would likely have lost an eye.
I don't normally wear glasses, I need to wear them when using a red dot scope, without it I see two fuzzy dots. Is there an incident on record where using 22 LR ammo and having the shrapnel coming back into the face with enough force to cause injury ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's Your Sight and Your Ears...Keep what You Got!!

I don't normally wear glasses, I need to wear them when using a red dot scope, without it I see two fuzzy dots. Is there an incident on record where using 22 LR ammo and having the shrapnel coming back into the face with enough force to cause injury ?
Anything is possible when shooting Any energy source. I even wear eye protection when shooting pneumatic .177 pellet rifles/pistols (including ear protection)!!! ;)

Ted

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a Mark 2 that digested everything perfectly. It certainly seems like Ruger has gone downhill and they are making excuses. My GSG will shoot anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How a Ruger MK pistol times

A .22 rimfire w/o powder is called a cb CAP.In a pistol it is not likely to stick a bullet in an unobstructed clean barrel.
Two possible causes are the feed ramp portion of the arrel is dirty or damaged OR the magazine is damaged in the feed lips.
The hypervelocity .22 has a different recoil curve/timing which could be the reason they are not recommended.
A dirty bolt/firing pin, extractor could contribute.

NOW it is clear why shooting glasses are always recommended.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts