Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Mark IV Competition about a week ago and have put about 300 rounds through it. From the very beginning, the magazine will pop out during firing, causing a misfire and/or jam. This happens usually about round-3 or 4 of every re-load, and happens with both magazines. It has gone an entire clip without misfiring, but only a couple of times. Have to manually hold the magazine in to prevent the issue. Has anyone else had this problem, and can you recommend a solution? By the way, I have completely removed the magazine ejector spring, and this seems to have temporarily solved the problem, but that does not seem to be the correct long-term solution. Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
Welcome to the Ruger Forum!!! Are you loading your pistol correctly? Make sure the bolt is locked back and the safety is in the SAFE mode before inserting a loaded magazine. The mag will go in very easily and should snap into the magazine latch. If you insert a loaded magazine with the bolt forward, you have to push against the column of cartridges and a compressed magazine spring. This can damage bullets plus it can damage the magazine or latch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Late reply, but none back from OP either. The magazine button is slightly "adjustable" by the large headed screw that holds the latch in. I would tinker with that to see if it helps. My mags had a a hard time going in, and I found that this seldom mentioned anywhere (as an issue) mag retaining screw could have been the cause, and was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the opening where the mag catch engages on the mags of marks.
Deburr "LIGHTLY"
Check mag release if it fully engages when the mag is inserted.
May be easier to see if you use a disassembled mag with the bbl assy off the grip.
Make sure there are no burrs on the release as it may cause it to not fully engage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts