Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this failure to eject/feed happened on every round with 6 different mags, so i don’t think it’s a mag
it is a volquartsen barrel/bolt….never had any issues previously. Suspect it could be ammo cci standard velocity lead…will try different ammo, in the meantime was looking for experienced opinion on this particular failure as i have never seen this before.
spent case only partially extracted…again, happen on every round and on 6 different mags
thanks
Capt Jack

Door Automotive tire Sleeve Wood Vehicle door

CCI Standard Velocity, .22LR, LRN, 40 Grain, 50 Rounds

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
This topic has come up a few times. Standard velocity .22LR may not have the energy to fully cycle any given semi auto. Having said that, 1070 fps is not that slow, and my MKIV 22/44 lite works with those just fine. Mostly, I stick to CCI Minimags, but someone at a range once gave me 2 boxes of Federal targets that I think were running about 870 fps and they worked fine.

You say you never had any issues previously. Is that previous to the volquartsen parts? It could be that your barrel is a little tight.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This topic has come up a few times. Standard velocity .22LR may not have the energy to fully cycle any given semi auto. Having said that, 1070 fps is not that slow, and my MKIV 22/44 lite works with those just fine. Mostly, I stick to CCI Minimags, but someone at a range once gave me 2 boxes of Federal targets that I think were running about 870 fps and they worked fine.

You say you never had any issues previously. Is that previous to the volquartsen parts? It could be that your barrel is a little tight.
Never any issues previously with volquartsen parts
probably ammo, will try some different ammo and report results
thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
I run CCI SV as my go to match ammo and it's very reliable in my Mark IV 22/45 and my Black Mamba.

Something that helped me was to replace the Magazine button with an extended one from Volvquartsen. It raises the magazines slightly and helped prevent my problem. Not sure if it will work for you but you may want to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
How many rounds have you shot through the gun without cleaning the chamber? When you clean the chamber do you use a brass brush or just a patch?

·
Registered
348 Posts
It’s not likely the ammo. My Mark IV has never had a failure to feed, fire or eject any .22 rimfire from subsonic quiet loads through CCI Stingers and every brand of cheap bulk stuff in between. I would really brush out the chamber and make sure you don’t have a lead build up. Is the extractor moving free? Does an unfired .22 pass a plunk test?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Capt Jack said:
it is a volquartsen barrel/bolt….never had any issues previously.
Don't know if it's related, but I do notice your recoil spring rod guide is lifted pretty good in the bolt. Think I'd reseat it and see if the problem persists. Don't know why Volquartsen made the slot so much bigger than the guide?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
707 Posts
MKIV said:
It may be the feed lips on the magazines. I was having the problem even with a Volquartsen extractor.
I don't see how it could be the feed lips. The casing would need to be completely clear of the chamber by a good bit before the rim would reach those feed lips. If the problem were stovepipes - then maybe.

With some effort, I was able to put my pistol into the same jam configuration pictured in the OP. I'm not seeing anything behind the chamber that could knock the casing free like that so soon in the ejection. That, and possible damage on the top/rear of the pictured casing makes me think the chamber may have dry fire damage. That could be pulling the casing out from the grip of the extractor. It's worth checking out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you try tuning your magazines? Tandemkross has a great video that will help you. When I had magazines that wouldn't work completely I did this and they all work now. I have 25 mags for my Mark IV 22/45 and Black Mamba.

The new stainless magazines all worked fine with no tuning. The older blued mags are what gave me trouble.

Just a shot in the dark. Hope it helps.

Did you try talking to Ruger or Volquartsen? You may just want to send the gun in and let them repair it. If you are using the VQ barrel I'd send it to them. Ruger only works on stock guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts