Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Mark lll Comp. Model. I love the pistol. I only have one suggestion, better information on the field strip process. I watched the video, and I am pretty handy with tools. the brealdown was easy, but the reassembly was confusing. In fact I fnally found a YouTube by Johney Buzz Kill. Watched it once and I had the gun back together in 5 monutes. I have since broken down and field stipped the weapon 4-5 times with no problems.

The only question I have is how often should I field strip it (how many rounds) I have been shooting about 200 rounds each time I practice, and field striping it time. I am wondering if that may be too often.

Otherwise, what a fantastic pistol, I own several...and it is one of my favorite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That a debated question, some break it down and clean it every time they shoot it, and some only clean if they have troubles cycling the gun.

I clean mine maybe every 1000 rounds more or less, I also use grease on the bolt instead of oil.

However you do it, it will be ok, you have a great gun enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
That a debated question, some break it down and clean it every time they shoot it, and some only clean if they have troubles cycling the gun.
As Kenny states, you have asked the million dollar question. Technically, .22's don't actually need to be cleaned very often to function properly. On the other hand, it appears that the vast majority of folks here were taught by the military, law enforcement agencies, or their dad or grandpa, to do a complete field strip and thorough cleaning every time they even as much as think about putting one round through their firearm.

I guess you need to decide for yourself just where you fall when it comes to maintaining your gun. The Ruger Marks pose an interesting dilemma, though, since they are a bit difficult to put back together.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Every time I shoot it and I use lubriplate white engine assembly lube on the bolt, shows less wear than any gun oil I have tried on other guns.
A buddy of mine who shoots a lot of bullseye matches and has 6, mark Ruger semi autos (Mark 1, a couple Mark ll and 3 Mark lll's) Lubriplate is all he uses on them.
Have Fun !!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I field strip and clean my Marks after every shooting; same as any other gun. Once you get the hang of it the Marks break down and go together as easily as any other gun.

By field strip I mean just the following: Remove the MHA, the bolt, and separate the barrel from the grip assembly. Clean everything. Sometimes I take the bolt spring off and clean under it. That is it. I can have a Mark looking like new in 10-15 minutes absolute tops doing this. It is good for the gun.

If the OP has trouble with any particular part of the reassembly process, post it and we can let you know the "trick" because I guaranty there is one. Once you learn it, easy.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have five Marks and only field strip when needed, maybe every thousand rounds or so to get the bolt and chamber area properly cleaned of gunk. That's about as often as I'll clean the bore, anyway - mine shoot tighter groups with a dirty bore and unless you have a lot of humidity in your area, you're not running any risk of rust in the bore by not cleaning after every use. Marks are not at all sensitive to being dirty. Really takes an awful lot of gunk to put one out of action and/or cause issues. You'll know it is time to field strip and clean when rounds have a tough time chambering due to accumulated residue in the chamber and you begin to have feed and eject problems.

I might add that in forty years of shooting Marks, I have never had a single instance of rust or corrosion by not doing a field strip after every use. If it makes you feel better to do so after very use, go for it, but it is certainly not needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, great replies! So far breaking them down is part of the fun, it only takes about 5-10 minutes anyways. Next question....CCI 40 Grain the best ammo? It seems to eat it with no problems.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You're very welcome.

As to the best ammo for your particular gun, you'll have to let the gun tell you that, but, yes, in general, I've had great success shooting CCI in my Marks. Mini mags are usually my go to ammo when I start shooting a new Mark.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Very often debated here, comes down to personal preference.
Me, after every time I shoot it.
Look after a handgun, it will look after you. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sound advice. Do what makes you feel good about your pistol. They don't require much cleaning, but many of us do clean them often.

Me? I actually enjoy the disassembly/reassembly of the MK III 22/45. Been known to take it apart even when it had not been shot.

Yes, I know, but the Doc says it will get better once the meds kick in.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Personally I have not found anything as good as Federal Blue Box 525 36 grain copper plated. Bought two cases of it and never have any issues with it. Plus it is pretty clean stuff.

·
Banned
650 Posts
There is a video on youtube that show how to disassemble and reassemble a MarkIII in 30 seconds. I can't do it in 30 seconds but I can do it PDQ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts