Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, you thought I meant Mark III pics?

Nope, these are three of my original Marks - a "72 vintage 4 3/4" barrel Standard with factory optional walnut grips, a '66 vintage 6" barrel Standard and a Mark I Target , 6 7/8 heavy tapered barrel with Millet sights and factory walnut thumb rest grips.

Love these old Marks (obviously) for their inherent simplicity - no bolt stop mechanism, no magazine safety disconnect safety stuff, no LCI, no warning to read the instruction manual printed on the barrel - just butter smooth action and that great traditional Mark accuracy.

I do love my two MKIIIs, by the way, but shooting these old Marks is like going home, again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, the walnut grips, in those days, would have set you back an additional $6 or $6.25 if you wanted the thumb rest version. For $12, you could even get Ruger to install the Mark I trigger pull on your Standards. Of course, that was actually a lot of money for accessories in those days.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sweet guns +1 to the bottom Target model. Did you see the post of the guy who when to the gun show and got a MKI in the oringnal box with paper work and still wraped in the protective paper. Why can't I find things like that I'd love to have a 60's MK

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't see the post, but I can tell you that the original Standards and Mark 1s have been going up in price, thanks to not only their age, but also the advent of the Mark IIIs with their lawyer proofing. I didn't buy these to collect, though. I bought them to shoot and enjoy, since my first Standard I bought new in '74 for, I think, about $70. I learned all the basics of pistol shooting with that old Standard. That's one I wish I still had, but the 6" Standard you see in the pic is close enough. The memories come flooding back every time I pick it up.

The old Marks are easy to repair if you find one that's in rough shape and want to shoot it, too. Many of the Mark II/III parts applicable to the Mark I/Standard work just fine. They're just as accurate as the newer Marks, as well. A mark is a Mark as accuracy goes. That hasn't changed at all.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Man... I REALLY want an original Standard 4.75" barrel like that top one in your photo. There's just something really, really cool about those things. Almost... German, in a way. :D (I know, I know... the Luger influence.) The basic Mark III looks the same, but there's just something special about the original. And something far more expensive, too! Maybe I can get a Mark III and do a trigger job on it instead.

Nah, I want the original. I shall have one of these some day.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right about the Luger resemblance. It has no doubt helped sell a lot of Marks over the years.

Those 4 3/4" and 6" Standards with their tapered barrels do have a balance, handling and feel that is quite different from the bull barreled Marks and even the heavy tapered barreled Marks that have been used on some of the Target versions over the years.

The MKIIIs with tapered barrels will get you that same feel as the original Standards. Other than the bolt hold open feature and the lawyer proofing mechanisms, they are still the same basic gun, after all. Crazy thing is going with the MKIII won't cost you much more, because mint condition Standards are now pulling $300-$350, even without the box and papers. Kind of nutty seeing a 50 year old Standard in mint condition at your LGS sitting next to a new MKIII Standard in the display case for about the same price, but I've seen it more than once. That's the gun biz for you.

So why didn't I just get a new MKIII Standard? Like I said, I just love the simplicity of the old Standards and, well, heck, the old stuff is just cool in it's own way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those are beautiful! As someone who just picked up a 22/45 MKIII, I have a new found appreciation for those early models now. Congrats!

By the way, I grew up in northern WI and my folks still live there. One of my favorite places in the world :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,071 Posts
Here's my RST-4 (Ruger Standard) LNIB ... One of the later models made in 1977.

·
16,071 Posts
Next to my S&W Mod 41, this 6 7/8" MK III Slabside is the most accurate handgun in my collection. It has a 2x Swift scope with Ruger Steel rings and steel base.

·
16,071 Posts
Although this 5 1/2" bull barrel MK III Target Model isn't quite as accurate as the 6 7/8", it is by far the most fun to shoot from an off hand position. I put a Millett 1" Red Dot on this MK III and also installed a set of Houge wrap around finger groove grips that fit me really well.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's our two MKIIIs, a Comp and a Hunter. Recently exchanged the red dot on the Comp for an old 2x Pro Class Tasco scope so my hubby (who refuses to share the Comp) couldn't complain that I had the advantage with my scoped Hunter. That's ten shots at 50 feet in a 1" orange stick on dot with the Hunter. My hubby doesn't stand a chance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought my first Ruger in 1976, a Liberty Ruger built in the 200th year of American Liberty. I still remember it cost $87.50 plus tax. It has the fixed rear sight and the 6 7/8tapered barrel. I turned 21 that year and bought 2 handguns on my birthday. I sold the Colt Mark III trooper but kept the Ruger. I later replaced the Colt with the gun I should have bought that day, the Python.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts