Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short I just received this gun as a present from my girlfriend. Brand new in the box. Took it down into the 4 pieces. barrel,grip.bolt and the piece that goes back into the grip and up through the barrel. As i watched the video and put it back together it does not properly function now and will not come back apart. I cannot remove the part that goes into the grip to retake the gun down and try again.

Anybody have any clue as to why?

·
Super Moderator
16,251 Posts
rentzman ... The issue that you describe is detailed in item #1 on the following troubleshooting chart Troubleshooting Page . Follow the steps listed and you should OK

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just took mine apart to clean it for the first time and after getting it back together it just don't seem right. It's hard to get the Mag in and out also. I did it three times and all three times are the same way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have tried getting the hammer to fall and have no luck. Squeezing the trigger makes nothing happen(Safety is off and empty mag is in). Also tried pulling trigger with magazine in and hitting on the table with no luck. Not wanting to hit it too hard obviously.

I don't know what else to do.

Also on this 22/45 model how would I manually force the hammer down? I looked at the picture on that troubleshooting guide but it does not look the same.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Me Too!

After 1000 or so rounds, I opted to field strip and clean my 22 45. Not only did I have trouble with the dis assembly, I can not get it back together.

According to Dr. Bulls eye's Chart, my problem is , I think, #5.

In addition the trigger may be a problem The pictures do not show a definitive picture of , the trigger up or down. position. I may missed it my anger and frustration.

I will attempt the solutions in 5 again. I am doubtful that it will shoot.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Your hammer strut is preventing the mainspring housing from opening because the hammer is partially cocked. To open it you must Insert an empty magazine, tilt pistol downwards towards the floor, squeeze trigger and hold it back, and strike muzzle very firmly down onto a block of wood to force hammer forward under inertia. Do not be shy, smack the muzzle down hard onto the wood. Remove the magazine then try opening up the mainspring housing again. If it doesn't work the first time, try it again only hitting it harder onto the block of wood.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
947 Posts
After 1000 or so rounds, I opted to field strip and clean my 22 45. Not only did I have trouble with the dis assembly, I can not get it back together.

According to Dr. Bulls eye's Chart, my problem is , I think, #5.

In addition the trigger may be a problem The pictures do not show a definitive picture of , the trigger up or down. position. I may missed it my anger and frustration.

I will attempt the solutions in 5 again. I am doubtful that it will shoot.
Place the mainspring bolt stop down through the top of the receiver like this...

The receiver is aligned when the bolt stop fits all the way into the receiver and touches the top of the surface. You can move the receiver back and forth, and twist side to side, until the bolt stop fits flush against the receiver tube. Then you can insert the mainspring up through the frame normally and finish the reassembly.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you,

Bulls Eye
You are on target. I followed your instructions to the letter and the pistol is re assembled and shoots better than before.
Thank you again!
Maverick

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm glad you've got it back up and running. I have a lot of experience with these and over the years have learned a few tricks to keep them from being sent back to the factory in a bag. Now all you have to do is go out and enjoy that pistol!

R,
Bullseye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts