Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the thread about the Marlin 80 made me think about posting this here. Posted it to our local forum when I started it a few weeks back.

Over the past several years I've picked up several cheap Marlin/Glenfield .22s.

Specifically I picked up a 75 carbine for each of my 3 kids, even the 2 month old , and a 25 for myself.

All are in various states of disrepair finish wise, but functionally sound. My plan is to refinish them all over the next several months.

My plan is sniper grey cerakote on the metal with the wood stocks stripped and refinished in Minwax Ebony. My daughter's rifle will likely get pink dye/stain in lieu of the ebony.

I got started with the 25. Since it's mine it's the laboratory/test platform. Before I do them all I wanna see what it looks like in the flesh vs. in my head.

Here are the before pics:

This side not too bad:

This side pretty worn

Rifle once the cerakote was done:

Completed rifle after ebony stain and hand rubbed tru oil finish:

closeup showing the grain: (this one was snapped when the last coat of tru oil was still wet)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I'm a little late on this but I just saw it and wanted to say that I like this project, I have this same rifle in about the same pre-refinish shape and you've given me a few ideas. I love the not so new Marlin .22 bolt guns and love to tinker with them, your's turned out nice.

·
Super Moderator
21,484 Posts
Nice job bringing it back to life. Those old marlins are shooters. Enjoy. I like the cerakote finish. Did you apply it yourself?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. This one really likes minimags. Stacks them in a ragged hole at 25. Hope to get it on the 50 yard bench this weekend.

I did apply the cerakote myself. I use the air cure C Series cerakote. No baking required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts