Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was out shooting for the first time at a very nice outdoor shooting range. The fellow next to me I got acquainted with him we both were shooting Marlin 30-30 Lever actions. He brought out a little Marlin 336 I have never seen before. He said several years ago he bought this rifle at Walmart. A Marlin Cross Bolt Safety 336 JM stamped. Straight Grip stock, with the half length magazine tube and either a 16.5 to a 18 inch barrel!! I have seen straight griped stocks but usually a 20-22 inch barrel. This rifle he had replaced the forearm stock with a slimmer sized one other then that it was totally stock very cool little rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I have a1955 vintage 336SC in .35 cal. Remington. It was my dad's and the first gun I ever hunted with. It has the Sporter stock. One of the nicest shooters I've ever hunted with. I never heard of a Texan variant until now. The straight stock makes it a ideal saddle gun.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
I have 2 Texans. A 1960 336-.35rem and a 1964 336- 44mag. They only made 2870 .44mag 336's in 1964.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow a 336 action for a .44 Magnuum that is way cool that rifle has some great value to it. Any possibility of sharing pictures of our two 336 Texans??

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have always much preferred the straight stock and slimmer fore end.
One pistol grip Marlin that I did like, had been neglected by the previous owner, and had surface rust all over. I turned it into a "project" gun, and removed the rust and sent the barreled action to Jesse Ocumpaugh in Oregon for rebore/rechambering to .356 Winchester.
When I got it back the next week, I finished it in grey Cerakote and put a "deluxe" 336 stock on it that I had just got from Marlin. The birch stock that had come with the carbine was badly water damaged, and looked like a plain piece of 2x4 so was not worth refinishing.
I bought dies and brass, and the first loads I worked up for that .356 with the Hornady FTX showed promise. After finding the load it liked, and shooting this 300 group, I removed the big Mueller scope and only shot it afterwards with a peep.
I had put the orange dot above the bullseye for an aiming point, as I had expected the rounds to drop a foot at that range, but they didn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts