Ruger Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Henry has models with side gates now.
True, but only the "tactical" X Model. Which is cool as long as that's what you're looking for, but not really my cup of tea.
I like what I've heard about Henry's quality, fit & finish, etc., but I also like the classic side loading gate on the Marlins.
If Ruger can up the quality of Marlin production, it will be the right fit for me.
Just sayin'.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
When you happen to see someone searching for a lever action rifle to go with a pair of Vaqueros , they are looking for a JM stamped Marlin. Marlin rifles are like Ruger single actions, they tend to accumulate. The Remlins that I tried to use were soon sold. Many new buyers did not realize there was a difference of quality in the newer rifles, which damaged the brand name. It may take a while, but I would love to see a Ruger Eagle on the top of a Marlin barrel where the JM use to be. I have some 327 Mags and 32 H&R that would enough sharing ammunition with a petite lever action. A return of the 41 caliber lever gun would be great to go with the 41 specials. Hope the judge will let them have Marlin and leaves enough cash with Ruger to return the line to a quality firearm.
I don't know how you feel about Henry rifles, but they make the Big Boy models (classic, carbine, & steel) in .41 mag and .327 Federal.
I hope that helps you out. :)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Henry makes a nice piece but the Bigboy line is a European design. The "Orignal" is closest to a true Henry and it was started after the fact.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I find it interesting that sierra is buying barnes, its competitor.
I don't consider Barnes to be a competitor to Sierra. Barnes is the #1 manufacturer of lead-free bullets, where Sierra has none in its product line.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
I don't consider Barnes to be a competitor to Sierra. Barnes is the #1 manufacturer of lead-free bullets, where Sierra has none in its product line.
That is true, but i was reffering to match bullets mostly, in that most manufacturers are competeting. Didn't think about bullet composition, but your right.

Barnes, sierra, hornady, nosler etc. I use all of those makers bullets in different firearms, i like the tac-x and tsx barnes. Like the sierra bthp match, palma match, and tipped matchkings. Hornady interlock, amax, vmax, bthp, and xtp. Nosler, thats easy accubond all the way. Speer the gold dot hollowpoint.

It will be interesting to see where sierra takes it. Guess im gonna need a new reloading manual for the new barnes in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will get this started with several items:

1. Excellent quality control
2. A Ruger-lin 39A with a nice stock (no pressed checkering) and an 18" barrel
3. Several different caliber options in their 1895 and 1894 rifles (that are not offered today)
4. Several different barrel lengths in all of their lever action rifles, 18", 20" & 22"
5. Production numbers that fit the demand for a good quality lever action
6. Rear sight options on their lever action rifles
7. ? ? ?
7. 1894 take down from the factory 16” barrel, pistol caliber thru 480 Ruger
8. 1895 take down from the factory 16” or 20” barrel, 45/70, 476 Turnbull, 460/500 S&W, 50 Alaskan
9. X model variants in all 3 frame sizes.
10. Add 223, 300Blackout and 35 Legend to 336 in Trapper, Standard and X configuration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long as we are wishing, wish Ruger would bring back the Savage 1899( or 99). Ruger-ize it and make it in 30/06 and 308 lengths. Think of a 375 Ruger lever action carbine or a 416 Ruger!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Long as we are wishing, wish Ruger would bring back the Savage 1899( or 99). Ruger-ize it and make it in 30/06 and 308 lengths. Think of a 375 Ruger lever action carbine or a 416 Ruger!
I heard a rumor that Ruger was interested in Savage because of the Savage 99. No idea if there's truth to it but obviously it hasn't happened.

I believe Savage did make the 99 in .308.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ruger won't make the firearms people want now like the O/U shotguns and a .44 camp carbine so how dose anyone think they will add to their product line. As far as fit and finish I don't see anything special in the line up now so the only thing I see is the Marlin name stays around a bit longer with no real changes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ruger won't make the firearms people want now like the O/U shotguns and a .44 camp carbine so how dose anyone think they will add to their product line. As far as fit and finish I don't see anything special in the line up now so the only thing I see is the Marlin name stays around a bit longer with no real changes.
My hope is that they improve on what Remington started. Realistically I'm not expecting a JM Marlin, I just want one that's functional and if not the company backs it and takes care of it. I guess I don't see why they can't expand calibers but we'll wait and see.

As far as whether they'll bring back/add the Marlin 39, at the price people are apparently willing to pay there's no way. They might make an affordable .22 lever action but it won't resemble an old 39.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,806 Posts
FWIW, the Marlin lever gun at my LGS last year was really nice. Nicely fitted and finished walnut, excellent bluing. Smooth action. Do not recall the caliber as I was looking for a .357 Henry Big Boy.

Still am, but I am thinking .44 now for the 2021-22 deer season. I buy no more than one gun per year, so $1000 tends to be my price maximum, though I want the best quality I can afford. No complaints at all about the Henry .22 mag in the family. What a joy to shoot and the youngsters are learning on it.

It got me wanting a Henry as my woods gun, with iron sights. Ruger would have to match that quality to lure my dollar.

·
Registered
226 Posts
FWIW, the Marlin lever gun at my LGS last year was really nice. Nicely fitted and finished walnut, excellent bluing. Smooth action. Do not recall the caliber as I was looking for a .357 Henry Big Boy.

Still am, but I am thinking .44 now for the 2021-22 deer season. I buy no more than one gun per year, so $1000 tends to be my price maximum, though I want the best quality I can afford. No complaints at all about the Henry .22 mag in the family. What a joy to shoot and the youngsters are learning on it.

It got me wanting a Henry as my woods gun, with iron sights. Ruger would have to match that quality to lure my dollar.
If its a question of money go with a Rossi over the Henry it may be rough but accuracy wise they have it all over them, the Henry's just don't shoot as well as they do. My Rossi .357 and .44 mag will clover leaf at 100 yards and neither my Henry or my 77/44 can beat that even with hand loads.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No complaints at all about the Henry .22 mag in the family. What a joy to shoot and the youngsters are learning on it.

I enjoy my Henry .22 also. No complaints about the Henry but quality wise it's not a Marlin 39a.

I don't own a Rossi or a Henry Big Boy. My Remlin in 45 colt works and shoots well. I assume it is very comparable to the Henry Big Boy in quality. I doubt mine will shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards, especially with me shooting it.

I think/hope Ruger will improve the Marlin line. I'm happy that Ruger is the one that bought Marlin even if it just means Marlin exists for a few more years. Ruger and Marlin are/were both manufacturers of tough, durable firearms. Maybe they are a bit utilitarian but then that's why I own them....to use not look at.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ruger Camp 45
...Since it doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a .45ACP PCC.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I'm curious as to why some think Marlin will exist for only " a few more years"?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm curious as to why some think Marlin will exist for only " a few more years"?
The modern firearms company's don't add quality to their guns these days. Find a way to cut cost and boost profits. Look what S&W did to Walther with the PPK and it was not until they sold it off did quality improve. I don't see Ruger making a better Marlin as they are not making better Ruger's these days, just lower cost to produce firearms.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Whatever.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what are your thoughts about Ruger being the high bidder for Marlin in the Remington bankruptcy sale?
I think it is pretty cool. I would like to see the Marlin name continue and that the brand would be strengthened. The first rifle I purchased was a model 25, .22 cal.

I like the 30-30 and would like to add one to my collection someday, but as a recent enthusiast I've heard the Marlin-Remimgton brand suffered from quality. I'm hoping Ruger brings back the quality and really would expect nothing less.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts