Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a recent convert to the GP100 fan club the Match Champion was too much to resist when I finally saw one.

It does feel lighter. The grip is better looking than I had expected and it feels good in my hand. The double action trigger does feel a little smoother and and is noticeably lighter than my other GP. The whole gun feels tighter too.

Curiosity got the best of me and a quick trip to the range was needed. Interestingly the grip felt less filling in my hand when fired. My first groups were disappointing and I was obviously not holding consistently. I decided to put on another GP grip I had and see if I would do better with it. I got my answer immediately and it was a resounding yes.

My other 38/357's all seem to shoot the Lee 358-158 RF bullet very well. Two Bullseye (powder) loads I use for 38 and 357 have performed VERY well in several SP101's (2-1/4", 3-1/16" and 4.2") and the 4" GP100. The Match Champion did OK with them but not as stellar as I had hoped - which certainly could be attributed to ME and NOT the MC.

A load that the MC DID shoot MUCH better than my other 38 caliber revolvers is the commercial PMC 132gr FMJ. The PMC shoots poorly in ALL of my other 38's but the MC put them into a ragged hole at 7 yards.

I was concerned about the lack of adjustability with the MC compared to the GP101. So far (7 yards) the 38 special and 357 loads are printing very close, just like they do with my (VERY) adjustable sighted 4" GP. I did have to give the rear sight a few taps to get it centered. The POI is within and inch above the POA which is probably perfect for target shooting.

The sights are VERY visible. I found that I actually shoot it better WITHOUT corrective lenses in my shooting glasses.

After about 50 shots I was comfortable with the feel of the trigger and I was able to call my shots, a quick check of the target would confirm my calls and my confidence with the MC grew.

Overall I like it. The few nit-picks I would have are it doesn't have the easy change front sight and the rear sight isn't as easy to adjust as it is on my other GP.

Is it worth the extra $? Time will tell. It is a VERY nice revolver and I'm excited to get to know it better.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about getting one but have yet to see one in my area. Also I got to tell you it really does look great with those Lett grips. Ruger really shouldn't have stop making them. You add them to any GP100 or Redhawk, and it just really makes it shine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I love this revolver, swings fast, it is accurate, and even with hot 357s comfortable to shoot. I also agree with your grip choice. Would like to see a front night sight for thi gun.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I have to say it has been a challenge for me getting used to a revolver again. I share your opinion about the grips. They look great but don't feel as full in the hand as they should. I'm going to order new grips - right after I get my trigger pull under control.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate.
Fine handgun.

·
223 deer slayer
1,856 Posts
Nice MC brother! I have its 3" baby brother. Love my WC. Its accurate (more than it should be for a 3") and it has a much improved trigger over my 6" gp100

Nice gun there but why not have the same barrel set up with the standard adjustable sights those Wiley Clapp sights are nice but are they fully adjustable?
Those "wiley clapp" sites are not adjustable. They are 1911 "Novak" sites. That's the beauty of them, they are awesome, and if you don't like them, they can be changed to any standard 1911 adjustable site in a few minutes without a gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Very good information. Very nice looking gun. Glad it is easy to shoot and accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First Impressions

Hello, all. I am new to the forum and just wanted to jump in on this one.

I just got my first GP100 MC this week and took it out to the range last Saturday. I have been a long time S&W 686 guy. I must say that I am now a GP100 guy for sure.

The MC was "Great", this revolver is awesome and just wish they had come out with it sooner.

It is a must have for me and highly recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just to Bad they put the HUGE billboards on the sides of the barrel, would have looked so much nicer without them. I have an MC and removing these billboards would be nearly impossible as they are cut deep into the barrel, Shame on Ruger that they did this to what would be a very nice revolver.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had one, really liked the concept of the gun. The problem I had was, they didn't slab the barrel sides equal, there was a noticeable difference between the two sides. Also who ever buffed the barrel should have had his ass kicked. Shooting it in the sunlight it looked like I was looking down a banana. That was the final straw on the gun. I wanted to get another one, I wish they would make the barrel like on the 10 mm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is my second post on this thread, in 2008 I posted a pic of a match champion on a smoker lying on a pair of old patrol gloves. I have a second MC in 357 now and have had it for a couple of years with the Micro style adjustable sights. I put the GP100 44 Special grip on this one and it just cooks. It shoots one hole at 50ft in a five shot group with Fiocchi 142 grain TC 357 ammo. Wow, it is and has been my low country wheel gun for several years.The 10 and 10 pound hammer and trigger springs make this gun smoother and lighter to shoot than most of my Smiths. I used to be on this forum as Bronco 45.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
Scout357, that is a nice looking Revolver! Straight up love it. Been shopping around for new Ruger Revolver and these always stand out! Can not locate any around here and just lost a bid on a used one 2 weeks ago. Some day!
Good photo of nice Ruger...
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts