Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any info been given as to the reason Ruger only offers its GP100 Match Champion 357 with a 4.2" barrel

·
Registered
420 Posts
After I purchased mine, I asked the same question. The answer I received is this revolver was made to shoot steel matches as well as other action style matches. This is not designed for bullseye matches but should do well in them with different sights.
The barrel length was selected to facilitate quick drawing from a holster.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I purchased mine, I asked the same question. The answer I received is this revolver was made to shoot steel matches as well as other action style matches. This is not designed for bullseye matches but should do well in them with different sights.
The barrel length was selected to facilitate quick drawing from a holster.
I'd love to have one with a 6" barrel

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The quality or feel of the action isn't difficult to duplicate. A simple shim and polish job will get you there. My GP feels as good or better than the MC I checked out.

The rest is cosmetics.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The MC is Ruger's answer to S&W's 686 SSR. Both guns are designed, specifically, for the Stock Service Revolver division of IDPA competition, thus the "Match" moniker. Barrel length in that division is limited to 4.2" and a 6" barrel in that competition would be a handicap, anyway. That's why you don't see a 6" MC.

Ruger could have avoided a lot of confusion by using a different label than "Match" for this gun, since so many people equate the word Match with bullseye shooting or more open divisions of action shooting where folks can use red dots and so on.

By the way, I have both of these guns - the Ruger MC and the 686 SSR. Love them both and very similar guns in the way they handle, feel and shoot, but each one has its own personality, too. Either gun is a great, though pricey, choice as an all around 357 revolver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am with Spike12, I wanted a 6 incher so I made mine from a standard 1707. The trigger and hammer shim rework were simple and the results were close to my 20+ yr old Colts. Not quite up to my S&W Custom Shop reworked Mod 14 but still quite good. As a final touch, I added a Match Champion wood grip. I find it much better than the standard plastic one.

This old bullseye shooter is quite happy the result and I don't have to chase the brass all over the range.

Bob

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's my understanding that the somewhat odd 4.2" bbl length was chosen so that it would be legal in Canada as well, for IDPA and otherwise.

Best, Jon

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
It's my understanding that the somewhat odd 4.2" bbl length was chosen so that it would be legal in Canada as well, for IDPA and otherwise.

Best, Jon
Gotta keep our northern neighbors happy I guess!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes- Canadian citizens cannot be trusted with that most fiendishly horrific instrument of mass destruction, a 4-inch revolver.
Murder, mayhem, rioting, societal chaos, fracturing of the Commonwealth, overthrow of the government, the end of civilization as they know it, would all inevitably follow.

A 4.2-inch barrel, now, they're perfectly safe & docile with.

As Canadian politicians clearly recognize. :)
Denis

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes- Canadian citizens cannot be trusted with that most fiendishly horrific instrument of mass destruction, a 4-inch revolver.
Murder, mayhem, rioting, societal chaos, fracturing of the Commonwealth, overthrow of the government, the end of civilization as they know it, would all inevitably follow.

A 4.2-inch barrel, now, they're perfectly safe & docile with.

As Canadian politicians clearly recognize. :)
Denis
They are idiots and after the next election I fear we are about to get even dumber idiots of that is possible. Smart move by Ruger incidentally. They sold a ton of product up here as a result of indicating they added two tenths of an inch to the barrel to meet our gun laws (thanks California). Their catalog indicated same and it worked,

I have a 686 no dash with a 105.14 mm barrel - just legal and prefer the Ruger over it. The Ruger is slightly lighter and the trigger is equal or better than the Smith. The 686 is a former US Customs gun.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's a progressive thing in this day & age, isn't it?
Gets worse each election? And not just where you are....

That 4.2 barrel was one of the smartest decisions Ruger's made in years.
Denis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts