Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious: Why is the top strap lowered on the model 1754 Novak rear sight Match Champion but not lowered on the model 1755 adjustable rear sight MC? I searched on the forum but was unable to find an answer. The model 1754 has a "thinner" top strap it's entire length whereas the 1755 looks to be the same thickness as the standard GP100.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:) I'm assuming that Ruger feels that more metal must be left in the top strap for the adjustable sight to be adequately supported. I do understand your question though, as I personally prefer the contour of the top strap on the fixed sight model but prefer using adjustable sights.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You'd probably have to ask Ruger on that one, but I suspect it might have something to do with the Novak sights having a limited selection of heights, available. At the moment, I happen to be changing out some of these on a 1911, so I've been dealing with this issue. Setting a Novak rear sight too high on the top strap would likely require too high a front sight to regulate, properly or be practical. Just my guess, anyway.

By the way, the thinner top strap is no issue in terms of strength, though, according to Ruger engineers.

I have an adjustable sight MC, but I do have the Novak setup on our Wiley Clapp. For precision work, I do like the adjustable sight setup on the MC, but for quick sight acquisition and visibility, I love the Novak setup on the WC. I'm a 1911 shooter, so they're a natural for me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Easy on this one. Living in CA and not ever seeming to find distributor exclusives available in my state, could not get the comp or Wiley Clapp models in CA, but that has since changed on the comp models (not so with the Wiley Clapp, still not available in CA). So my thought was to buy from Ruger the sights and grips and make my own so to speak from the parent gun of Ruger's fixed sight 3" GP100.

In a nutshell, NOT ever going to happen. Ruger states that the Wiley Clapp model or any with the Novak sights have more meat in the top strap and the same "meat" is not in the fixed sight model nor the adjustable sight model either. Now that may very well be taking into account the thickness between the bottom of the blind screw hole and the other side of the top strap on the adj. model or the bottom of the sight channel and the other side on the fixed sight model, but that's what they said. The Wiley Clap and competition models have what Ruger calls a "Thicker" top strap. Period. I hope that this helps? Smithy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts