Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure why anyone does this matte finish on a dark alloy. I just pulled this screen grab from the S&W website video where they are actually trying to sell you the gun, and they apparently couldn't even find one in inventory that hadn't already been scratched. There are minor scuffs above the mag release, and a more serious scratch down on the frame. Maybe from someone's wedding ring or something.

Ok, I get it on a bottom-shelf "beater" gun like a $100 single-shot shotgun that you keep behind the seat of your pickup. But this is not a $100 or even a $300 retail gun. MSRP is $600.

I do like a lot of features of the CSX. If they need to charge more for a better finish, I wish they would just do that.

Hand Trigger Finger Air gun Gun barrel

Registered
Products of the Pubic School System.
It鈥檚 really a product of an entire generation. Lazy, self centered, sensitive, spoon fed kids that won鈥檛 get out of their parent鈥檚 basement. ZERO work ethic! A lost generation for sure. They should be embarrassed by the way they live their lives. Meanwhile, people in other countries are focused on education, immigrate to the US, take the skilled and professional jobs, and dominate the job market. Our Gen-Lazy woke, inconsiderate, intolerant, hyper sensitive babies would rather be on social media all day, or be professional gamers. We are doomed. So sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Geez I thought I was being curmudgeonly when I was bitching about cheap modern frame finishes, but I can鈥檛 compare to that. You guys are my heroes!
It鈥檚 sickening to see how the US has slipped so far behind so many other developed nations. We鈥檙e experiencing the new generation leaching off of society, and doing nothing productive. It鈥檚 the result of bad parenting and single parent households. Can鈥檛 blame schools for stuff that parents should be handling, such as raising a polite, respectful, motivated and productive member of society, and instilling a great work ethic. Parents are too quick to blame the education system. Look inward. What is different now than 30-40 years ago? Two working parents, single parent households, lack of a good role model, and way too many distractions with the myriad of electronics. Social media has provided an altered reality that controls the lives of so many.

End of rant and diversion from original topic. My apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I don't know what they're using on these finishes. But I still have an old S&W 469 from the early 80's. It's aluminum alloy frame is a semi-matte finish of some kind. It actually held up pretty good over the years. It wore off on some of the edges. That's to be expected though. I did however end up having to redo the slide in a parkerized finish.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Registered
I'll take that alloy finish over the crappy cerakote SIG is slapping on their guns. My $1700 P220 10mm had the finish chipped from the sight install before it even left the factory, lol.

I handled a CSX the other day. Feels very nice in the hand but I can't get over the trigger - It's garbage. I thought it would be the dingus that bothered me. Turns out it was the ridiculous trigger weight. Has to be 7-8+ pounds. Very unusual feeling to have a trigger pull weight similar to a DAO but with the short pull/reset of a SAO. Maybe it's better in live fire...

IMO the CSX has potential to be an awesome pistol when some improved/tuned/upgraded versions get released. If they dropped that trigger down to about 4.5-5lbs and made some minor cosmetic changes I think it could be a real winner.

Registered
I'm not sure why anyone does this matte finish on a dark alloy. I just pulled this screen grab from the S&W website video where they are actually trying to sell you the gun, and they apparently couldn't even find one in inventory that hadn't already been scratched. There are minor scuffs above the mag release, and a more serious scratch down on the frame. Maybe from someone's wedding ring or something.

Ok, I get it on a bottom-shelf "beater" gun like a $100 single-shot shotgun that you keep behind the seat of your pickup. But this is not a $100 or even a $300 retail gun. MSRP is $600.

I do like a lot of features of the CSX. If they need to charge more for a better finish, I wish they would just do that.

View attachment 164259
I have a couple guns that came with a fuzzy matte finish. One stainless and the other in black aluminum. I did a Frog Lube treatment on the outside of both and the finish is much better. Very smooth to touch.

Registered
I have a SIG P226. It has some sort of anodized black on the aluminum lower, seems fine. The slide is nitrided stainless steel.

Ceracote is just heat cured paint.

Anodized is a plating process. Nitriding is a chemical hardening process that gives great surface properties and corrosion resistance.

Give me stainless. Give me nitrided. Or, in the case of my SR 1911 and SIG slide, give me nitrided stainless steel.

Grand Inquisitor
It鈥檚 really a product of an entire generation. Lazy, self centered, sensitive, spoon fed kids that won鈥檛 get out of their parent鈥檚 basement. ZERO work ethic!
Get off my lawn! Goodness, but what a chain of unsupported generalizations.

I will dare to say the unpopular thing: the kids are mostly all right.

Two city kids help on my farm, and I teach a bunch more in my day job. The farm hands are decent kids and hard workers. The students? No worse than me at that age, but better able to build professional networks, learn new tech, get internships, travel abroad, and remain generally on the ball.

The future is in good hands, based upon my 30+ years of experience with several thousand kids.

Matte finish slides? That worries me. But I will be gone in 30 and my shiny guns will outlive me.

Many of my old peers are as grumpy as some of the posts here. I tune 鈥榚m out too. Everyone said we Gen Xers were going to ruin the world, too. Probably gun culture too, since we had all those Berettas instead of revolvers and 1911s. I still do not own a Beretta, btw.

Whatever.

Registered
@Old School Wheelgunner , on the whole I tend to agree with you.

The reason our quality has gone down IMHO is we have out-sourced our souls to foreign competitors. We just assemble crap foreign parts now in our remaining factories.

The young engineers where I work part time are very competent and hard working.

Registered
Ahhhh yes! Shiny guns, with beautifully finished wood stocks. Old guys like me drool over such things, but it seems the demand is for more duability, & less maintenance, & "PRETTY" be damned.

Registered
Mostly agree. It's a moot point, but there is only one thing wrong with today's generation of young people (all things considered ) the previous generations created the society they were raised to.

I concede there is probably a better group of folks reading this, than your average sidewalk-shuffler. But I've been around a bit.
Ive never met a dog dumber than its owner.
Same goes for our "kids". 馃

Registered
I have done a couple reviews on S&W handguns. 1 or 2 are still floating around. I compared a 9mm EZ to a comparable Springfield XDE. The build and finish weren鈥檛 in the same class. Their 1911 E Series against a cheaper 1911. The cheaper one had superior fitment. The long and short of it is, they are full of themselves. They鈥檒l half-ass it and rely on their name to get the product sold. Some things they do well, but when it comes to their semi-autos, it鈥檚 a crap shoot as to what you鈥檙e gonna get.

I once bought two identical 9mm Shield compacts, at the same time from the same retailer. Out of the box, one was operational, the other had a mangled guide rod and had to be serviced. Only 3 of the 7 semi-auto handguns I鈥檝e purchased were reliable out of the box.

I鈥檝e taken S&W semi-autos off the table for any future purchases. I still have 3. One, 380 EZ, hasn鈥檛 been through it鈥檚 500rd break-in (wish I was kidding about that) but my wife loves the way it handles and she handles it well. Got a .22 compact for my kids, which is good and reliable. I kept the 1911. The fitment is subpar but it鈥檚 pretty, hasn鈥檛 jammed yet and handles well.

Registered
Mostly agree. It's a moot point, but there is only one thing wrong with today's generation of young people (all things considered ) the previous generations created the society they were raised to.

I concede there is probably a better group of folks reading this, than your average sidewalk-shuffler. But I've been around a bit.
Ive never met a dog dumber than its owner.
Same goes for our "kids". 馃
Kind of brings up the saying of "You Reap What You Sow"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts