Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a Remington 870 Express 20ga. and I have noticed that it has a spot on the rear of the reciever where the matte blue finish is allowing some shine from the metal to show through. The spot is not very big, only about the size of my thumbnail, and you can see it only when the light hits it at the right angle. Its not much, but its enough to bother me. I was wondering if anyone knew of a matte blue repair kit or some kind of other remedy that would match the finish on the gun, but cover up the blemish.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a product on Brownell's website called 44/40 instant gun blue. Anybody heard of it? Is it a good route to go?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I found a product on Brownell's website called 44/40 instant gun blue. Anybody heard of it? Is it a good route to go?
44/40 has been around for a long time and it's one of the better cold blues IMHO.

That would probably do what you are looking for. I maybe wrong but if I'm not mistaken there's a HazMat fee on it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 44/40 has some pretty rough reviews about causing rust, it seems if the acid is not neutralized then it can rust stuff up pretty bad. I also found some Birchwood / Casey Super Blue. The reviews on it didn't say anything about rust, but they did say that it was really dark.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I've had good results with Birchwood Casey Super Blue, which usually comes out nearly black. They also make Perma Blue, which is not as dark. The Super only comes in bottles, the Perma in a bottle or a marker type pen.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Bluing in nothing more than a controlled rusting process. I have used 44/40 several times and back in the mid 70's we sold it at the GS I worked for. In fact that was the only cold bluing our Gunsmith would use. No matter what cold or hot bluing that's done it has to be maintained using a protective lubricant to prevent rust. I haven't used any of the modern day cold blues. Maybe there's better ones now days that I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, the finish on this 870 is kind of a charcoal grey. Do you guys think the 44/40 or the super blue would be a better match? Does that Perma come out nearly as dark as the superblue as in darker than the 44/40?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the Birchwood Casey Presto gun blue pen. Is that the same pen you all are talking about? It sounds like what I need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A matte finish is the result of bead blasting and not polished like the high gloss bluing, if the matte is worn it may end up being a shiny blue.

·
Banned
402 Posts
A matte finish is the result of bead blasting and not polished like the high gloss bluing, if the matte is worn it may end up being a shiny blue.
Like the quote above says, if it's a blasted finish your not going to match it without it looking like what it is ( a repair ) especially if it's in the gray family.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts