Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be a defect or normal? what type screwdriver removes the pad, should I use blue loctite on the bolt and what size is the bolt in the stock? Thanks for any help.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,139 Posts
The heavy loads probably just loosened up the bolt that wasn't cranked down tight during assembly. A regular #2 Phillips screwdriver will remove the pad. You actually only need to loosen the top screw , remove the lower screw, and swing the pad to the side. A LARGE flat blade screwdriver will let you tighten the bolt. Enjoy your shotgun!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The heavy loads probably just loosened up the bolt that wasn't cranked down tight during assembly. A regular #2 Phillips screwdriver will remove the pad. You actually only need to loosen the top screw , remove the lower screw, and swing the pad to the side. A LARGE flat blade screwdriver will let you tighten the bolt. Enjoy your shotgun!
Thanks, I got it off, It can also be removed or tightened with a 1/2 inch socket. Gonna blue loctite it as I ain't got any plans to change it later.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be a defect or normal? what type screwdriver removes the pad, should I use blue loctite on the bolt and what size is the bolt in the stock? Thanks for any help.
If it is a bolt head use blue loctite, if it is a screw head of any kind, I wouldn't use any loctite.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The threaded portion of that fastener is probably 5/16" (with a 1/2" head size), but could be 1/4" or a metric equivalent. In any case, blue Loctite won't be overkill, and the bolt is easily removed with nothing more than steady pressure should the need arise.

Do use a socket to turn it, and don't forget to torque it to spec. Probably 6 ft/lb for 1/4" or 12-13 ft/lb for 5/16" (presuming it's a grade 5 bolt). Quick search will give you general torque specs if Mossberg doesn't have that info readily available.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The threaded portion of that fastener is probably 5/16" (with a 1/2" head size), but could be 1/4" or a metric equivalent. In any case, blue Loctite won't be overkill, and the bolt is easily removed with nothing more than steady pressure should the need arise.

Do use a socket to turn it, and don't forget to torque it to spec. Probably 6 ft/lb for 1/4" or 12-13 ft/lb for 5/16" (presuming it's a grade 5 bolt). Quick search will give you general torque specs if Mossberg doesn't have that info readily available.
I decided to use a large screwdriver to tighten it back up, I was worried about using a socket on polymer. I used pretty much my hand strength to tighten so I hope it was enough.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sometimes working on an old car, I would think how I hated doing this repair due to numerous factors and I was at least glad I was NEVER gonna have to touch this crap again! Then I was to move on to other repairs on the car which I enjoyed more as this was a project so working on the car was expected. But, after I had to redo that hated repair about a couple more times made me think about tightening down these bolts and then having to pull them out after I had hoped it was a "once in a lifetime" thing. God has humor regarding repairs ya know?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Thanks, I got it off, It can also be removed or tightened with a 1/2 inch socket. Gonna blue loctite it as I ain't got any plans to change it later.
I wouldn't do that ... You never know what the future holds ... I didn't "Plan" on a lot of things in my life ...
But It Happens ... trust me on this one .
Leave the threads where you can easily remove the bolt when you want to ... no use making decisions now that you will regret later .
Use a good lock-washer under the bolt not locktite , don't make the future harder on yourself than it needs to be !
Gary

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't do that ... You never know what the future holds ... I didn't "Plan" on a lot of things in my life ...
But It Happens ... trust me on this one .
Leave the threads where you can easily remove the bolt when you want to ... no use making decisions now that you will regret later .
Use a good lock-washer under the bolt not locktite , don't make the future harder on yourself than it needs to be !
Gary
The bolt has a flat and lock washer from factory but it was barely just snug. I used one drop of loctite blue and only used a large flat blade screwdriver to tighten. I decided not to use a socket as I didn't want to make it too tight ot strip something.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
In a few years when you want to remove the stock ... Don't come whinning to me about giving you poor advice ...
a good replacement lock washer and proper ft/lbs of tightening on the bolt is still my recommendation .
But ...hey what do I know !
Gary

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In a few years when you want to remove the stock ... Don't come whinning to me about giving you poor advice ...
a good replacement lock washer and proper ft/lbs of tightening on the bolt is still my recommendation .
But ...hey what do I know !
Gary
I appreciate your advice and I used just a dab of blue about the size of a pencil lead diameter, much less than I put on scope mounts and they come loose fairly easy. Just for peace of mind more than anything, also i just couldn't use a socket, too scared I might strip something. It amazed me even with a screwdrive, the bolt was almost 2 rounds out before becoming snug. After snug I was able to go another 1/2 to 3/4 turn using hand strength.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Blue medium strength Locktite is fine. It coats the threads and prevents corrosion. Later removal is easy-peasey. I am a mechanic and use the stuff a lot.

Avoid the red high strength stuff though. Heat is required to remove it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts