Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a 1959 .357 Old Model Blackhawk. Beautiful gun! The frame blueing is 100%. My issue is with the grip frame. It has wear and scratches that wont touch up. I was going to sent it back to Ruger to have the gripframe "reblued" but they informed me they were not doing any elective work for the near future until they get caught up with backorders. This could be months I was told. So as to collector value, should I wait on Ruger? Or is there someone any of you would recommend that can match that matt black factory finish? Or should I leave it alone?
The frame and barrel look like this gun has never been fired! The gripframe just takes so much away from it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Try a magnet on it . If it does not stick it is alloy and was never blued , it was anodized .
Most touch up on alloy frames nowadays is done with some form of cerakote .
And you can do that yourself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Today's Krylon in a can is decades ahead of "spray paint". Krylon has a MilSpec. cerakote, nope..
It's all about the prep. Just follow the recipe.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Or is there someone any of you would recommend that can match that matt black factory finish? Or should I leave it alone?
All depends on your purpose for this revolver. I myself like a few survivor scars on a Blackhawk and would shoot it much as I could feed it. It sounds to be perfect for a shooter. On the other hand, I also get having a sharp looking Old Model. If you have to have factory finish maybe search classified ads for a suitable used replacement or wait on Ruger. Cerakoting it is probably a faster option though and more durable . Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies!
All depends on your purpose for this revolver. I myself like a few survivor scars on a Blackhawk and would shoot it much as I could feed it. It sounds to be perfect for a shooter. On the other hand, I also get having a sharp looking Old Model. If you have to have factory finish maybe search classified ads for a suitable used replacement or wait on Ruger. Cerakoting it is probably a faster option though and more durable . Good luck and welcome!
Think I might just do that! Run a few rounds through it until Ruger gets caught up!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Come on now, we need a picture or two! I've discovered over the years that my "purty guns" are not enjoyed as much on the range, and rarely taken hunting, for fear of making a scratch on them. Shooter grade guns are the most fun.

I agree, shoot the hooey out of it while waiting on the world to re-center itself.

Still wanna see a picture of it. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come on now, we need a picture or two! I've discovered over the years that my "purty guns" are not enjoyed as much on the range, and rarely taken hunting, for fear of making a scratch on them. Shooter grade guns are the most fun.

I agree, shoot the hooey out of it while waiting on the world to re-center itself.

Still wanna see a picture of it. ;)
I’ll send pics when I get back home this Sunday! Maybe a pic of its big brother two!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Id say leave it alone and shoot it. There is no collector value to speak of due to the condition you described and the fact its been shot already. It’s not rare enough to be a collector in used condition. After Ruger catches up and the scratches still bother you , then Id send it in.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Do what Skeeter Skelton used to do…………buff the finish off the grip frame!
That's what I did ... ( See my avatar - grip frame and ejector rod housing) ...if you don't like the way it looks ... have it black anodized , Use Alumna-Black for a DIY black finish ... or some kind of moders black finish ...
Might destroy "Collector" value ...and might be better off just leaving it alone .
Post some photo's so we can see how bad it is / looks .
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts