Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speed six measures exactly 3" from the tip of the muzzle to the forward surface of the cylinder. Is this what a holster manufacturer considers barrel length? It's 2 7/8" to the inside of the frame that holds the cylinder, and it's 2 1/4" to the, geez I don't know, to the part of the frame that the barrel meets at the bottom. If that makes sense.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, I have a 2" Smith that has a 1 7/8" bbl..hard to figure...they cataloged SpeedSix at 4" or 2 3/4"....but the barrel cutter may have had a hard night...:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems there are some speed sixes with 3" barrels, I did a search and found some forum stuff about postal carrier models with 3" or something.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
open the crane, place something flat across the forcing cone to block the bbl at the cyl end, slip a pencil in the bbl and mark the point it comes out the bbl. measure that and it's your actual bbl length. Yours is probably the 2 3/4".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, that's a 3".
Model GS83NYCPD

GS = stainless Speed Six
83 = .38 Special with 3" barrel
NYCPD (self explanatory)

It's been discussed before, but Ruger's nomenclature is difficult to comprehend without a playbook. For instance...SS, rather than GS, designates a blued speed six...whereas in the rest of the universe SS usually stands for Stainless Steel. GA is a stainless double action with adjustable sights. And a plain old "B" (rare) indicates blued stainless. Confused yet? :(

The US Postal Inspector gun was indeed a 3" - Model GS33PS - the second digit indicates barrel length. A GS32 would have a 2 3/4 barrel.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff, morsecode. Thanks. And yes I am confused yet!

I think it's, for lack of a better word, funny that postal inspectors had their own model. I'm sure I just don't understand what postal inspectors do, but until I do, it sounds like "yes, the coveted 3.25" barrel stainless 7-shot Accountant Model is quite rare and very popular with collectors!"

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
morsecode, the .357 speed sixes, what would that '83' number be on that model? 53 for a 3" barrel?

·
Registered
132 Posts
A .357 Speed Six with a 3" barrel would be either SS (blued) or GS (stainless) 33, not 53. The first digit signifies caliber, second digit is barrel length. It gets a bit screwy here, too.

Models 32, 33, 34 are all 357 magnum

Models 92, 94 are 9mm

Models 82, 83, 84 are .38special.

So you see, they had to use the 8 in .38 special since the 3 was already taken for the .357 [xx(]

How much easier would this have been: Model SS357.3S = speed six .357, 3" barrel, stainless.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you're right, that would have made more sense of course. But even if they wanted to use the same number of characters, they could have used the LAST digit in the caliber:
9mm = 9
.38 = 8
.357 = 7
so your example would be SS73S. Mine would be SS83S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts