Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in a new 15 round mec gar mag for my P89.

It loads every round well but it is not a sure thing getting it to click in when I set the magazine into the P89. Get it locked it works well. Still not on my list of things that are what I call reliable.

Now on out I go for stock Ruger Mags.

tk

·
Registered
842 Posts
tkarter, met gar mags have a very good reputation. Maybe the problem is just the magazine is new and will do better after being used some. Try loading the mag with one less rd and see if it works better. I have an older P85 and of the three 15 rd factory mags I have only one will allow 15 rds to be loaded fairly easily and it's a bit harder to get in the gun. Don't know if it's the mags I have or what and I've tried cleaning and making sure they're put together right but it didn't help so for the sake of reliability I always leave a rd or two out. BTW that old P85 has never jammed or failed to feed once in over 6500 rds using all kinds of ammo both factory and reloads.
Baker

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only issue with the one I have is that I must manually latch it in. It is the stainless mag and once I get it locked in it does not fail.

Great rep or not it doesn't work as well as the Ruger supplied mag does.

I consider it usable but not for carry.

tk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mec Gar's are great IMO, but not as good as the factory mags. The thing I dislike about P89 Mec-Gar's are the basepad. It hangs over the bottom of the grip which I don't like. It's almost like the took the basepad they use on the Beretta 92 (which doesn't hang over BTW) and used it on the P89. Other than that mine have been 100% reliable in my P89.

One thing for sure... stay AWAY from Mec-Gar's 1911 mags, they're terrible. They've got the double stack 9mm mags down, but 45acp is another story.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have actually fixed the one I have. It is the nickel 15 rounder and the hole was just a touch tight. Little bit of emery on a Qtip resolved the issue.

Still the next mags I buy I am getting from Ruger.

I mean not to bash the reputation of Mec Gar. Every factory has its come backs.

Just my preference nothing more.

tk

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Heard that mcgar builds mags for a lot of makers including browning. But totally agree, i'll carry the ruger factory mags and leave the aftermarkets for the range. (Except wilson combat mags but that is a different gun/story)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Deputy.

I am a bit of an experimenter for sure. I just think it was the last one in the area of defense of my family. Unless I see a better way some time down the road.

My mind is open. I have wasted money trying after market parts on cars, boats and lawn mowers.

Some worked some didn't and I just reported a didn't work right out of the box with my post.

My original 10 round mag locks in and empties like one should. My Ruger shoots where I point it.

I prefer Ruger Mags to any other.

IMHO

tk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts