Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bang Bang
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: Kel Tec. Was auto corrected before posting

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the quality, or lack thereof of this gun?

Very few options in automatics in the caliber.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Interesting thread , although I don't have any first hand knowledge , I think the Kel-Tech PMR-30 is an interesting weapon. 30 rounds of 22 magnum , a sort of Mad Max look to it .
Affordable price . I'm going to watch this thread ...if it works well I might have to look into one .

Hickok 45 has a U-Tube video range test that I'm going to watch .
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
My neighbor had one and really liked it. I’ve looked at one a couple times this past year. I had a negative Kel Tec experience with a carbine last year so I admit being a bit gun shy on the pistol. Found an AMT Auto Mag last year but did not buy it because they’ve been out of production so long. I was worried about finding parts.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Take a look at the Excel Arms Accelerator pistol in 22 WMR. Its a big pistol, its reasonably priced, made in the USA, and mine has been excellent.

·
Bang Bang
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks weblance and Rugerfan.

Hopefully lay my hands on one of each to see what feels good.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I looked at that Accelerator online. It sort of has a Automag grip to it. Price point just above the Kel Tec. I’d like to handle one. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Just a quick update for y'all. Went to the range today and rented the Kel Tec P-30. The pistol is very light. We did not fully load the mag. Curious how that might have felt in the hand. Three of us shot 10-15 rounds through the pistol. I had two 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 feet. The range gun had a light trigger. The one for sale at the counter had a little heavier trigger pull. Overall, the three of us liked the gun. I might rent one again in the near future. I’d like to see/handle one of the Excel models. My LGS only carried the rifle. Owner stated he would look into the pistol. I’t hard to beat the price of the Kel Tec.

·
Registered
96 Posts
PMR30

I’ve had a KT .22mag pistol for about four or five years now and the carbine version for two years. Fun? Yes. Reliable? Mostly, the break in period was long, and loading the mags properly is absolutely important. A good loader like the nest loader or the Maglula really helps. I added a Tandemcross rail and a See All sight and it seemed to fix my last issue which was intermittently stopping halfway thru stripping a round, usually the second round on a full mag. Maybe the xtra mass helped.

Accuracy is just OK, either with 30, 40 or heavier grain bullets. The lockup isn’t super tight which may be my issue. Still a fun gun, lots of noise & fireballs and an excellent trigger. The CMR 30 carbine though hasn’t had any feed issues since day one and is very accurate compared to my other .22mag rifles. No break in grief.

Another option for a .22mag pistol is the RIA XT-22 magnum. It’s a full size full weight 1911 .22mag pistol, holds 13 rounds and beats the pants off the PMR 30 in groups. No break in issues with any CCI ammo but won’t cycle Hornady CD or Armscor at all, it stops halfway thru extraction for some reason. Not sure why, the extractor is strong but when a round gets stuck only pliers will get it out. Another fun gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts