Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREETINGS TO RUGER MANAGEMENT: I hope you will fabricate your SR 9 magazines out of stainless steel. Many Ruger pistol shooters prefer stainless to plain steel. When the magazine lips are buffed on a blue steel magazine, the gun blue gets buffed off. That won't happen on a stainless magazine, and stainless is also a bit tougher material.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't have my SR9 yet but I agree........Just wait McCormick or someone else will come up with after market stainless and Ruger...loses revenue....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by USNCHIEF

I don't have my SR9 yet but I agree........Just wait McCormick or someone else will come up with after market stainless and Ruger...loses revenue....
Since we are ex Navy we know about the benefit of rust resistant stainless. Didn't know you were waiting on the SR9. I have to wait till Ruger sends the gun to CA DOJ (Department of justice) so DOJ can safety test it and then allow its importation.Over the last few days have been thinking of getting a SS (of course) P89 w/ safety/decocker.......their numbers are limited. Tough decision..wait for SR9 or grab P89.....IF I can find the one I want. I have to consider that the SR 9 might be a prohibited firearm in CA. Have been mulling it over.....will call my dealer soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am holding out for an SR45. I already have enough 9mm's, but a second 45ACP could not hurt. Ruger also just came out with a blackened slide model. I would have to get an SR45 With Blackened slide. I would also prefer a blued or blackened slide.

When I use something as a CCW I prefer not to have any shiny stainless items to catch peoples eye's like a shiny fishing lurer.

Charlie

(Edit: Instead of "I would also prefer a blued or blackened slide". It should read "I would also prefer a blued or blackened magazine." I was a bit tired when typing :) )

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Leucoandro

I am holding out for an SR45. I already have enough 9mm's, but a second 45ACP could not hurt. Ruger also just came out with a blackened slide model. I would have to get an SR45 With Blackened slide. I would also prefer a blued or blackened slide.

When I use something as a CCW I prefer not to have any shiny stainless items to catch peoples eye's like a shiny fishing lurer.

Charlie
I've read pro and con on shiny versus subdued gun finishes. Many years ago I read an article titled something like"Beware the Flashdancer". The thrust of the article was that if you CCW don't make some common mistakes and blow your gun concealment. In another article, a writer opined that a bright/shiny DEPLOYED weapon would be more easily/quickly seen by a perp which might cause the perp to cooperate sooner. I think it likely Ruger would produce a .40 before a .45 because the .40 will fit right into a 9mm platform. For the fatter .45 a larger platform has to be designed. I always wondered why Ruger never made a polymer .40. Maybe some members know the real reason they didn't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have thought about the 40S&W. I was excited about it at first, but after seeing the ballistics I have just never been able to get myself really excited about it. I think of it kind of like a 45ACP Lite.

Comparing balistics at the muzzle
40S&W - 180gr. Remington UMC / 1015fps / 412ft-lbs
45ACP - 185gr. Remington UMC / 1015fps / 423ft-lbs

The heaviest bullet I see available in the 40S&W is 180gr. That is just the starting wt. for the 45ACP. The 40S&W also has many issues associated with KB's that the 9mm and 45ACP do not have. Some say that this is a result of reloading 40S&W brass that has been fired in pistols with an unsupported sidewall. Some say that it is a result of the bullet being pushed slightly farther down into the case from repeated chamberings of the round prior to firing combined with a unsupported sidewall. These issues give me concerns.

Glock owners claim that the KB issue is solved by buying an aftermarket barrel for their glocks with a chamber that better supports the sidewall.

I do have some interest in the 357Sig (I know that it is based off of the 40S&W) I have always been a fan of the 357 Magnum, and I feel that the 357 Sig (while being a 357Magnum lite) is far more ballistically interesting than the 40S&W.

357Sig - 125gr. Remington UMC / 1350fps / 506ft-lbs
357Mag - 125gr. Remington UMC / 1450fps / 583ft-lbs

I could see myself going for a Ruger SR357 W/Blackened slide.

Machinist,

As to what you said about Flashdance, I understand what you are saying. If you have a firearm concealed correctly, it should not matter if the barrel has been Chromed or is colored Orange. I do my best to conceal my firearm properly, but once or twice my shirt has caught on things and exposed the grip on my SP-101 (Or at least I felt like it did, no one has ever seen it.) I guess that it is more of a comfort thing to me. I do not too much buy the Shiny slide on a deployed weapon putting a purp into line faster. I personally believe that the size of the hole in the end of the barrel is directly proportional to the speed at which a perp will conform. But if bright and shiny is a factor in compliance, I would think that a Laser would do much more for compliance than a shiny slide would.

Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts