Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is embarassing,but here goes.I was driveing on a back road last week and saw a house cat lying in the grass along the road.Now I have cats around my place and like them.Anyways I pulled over and the cat just lays there meowing,so I go over and see it was hit by a car with it's hips and rear legs crushed,flies are allready on it si it must have been there awhile.I return to my truck to get my .45 when somebody pulls up and I explain the situation so they agree it's best to put it out of it's misery and they leave.I walk up to the cat and say sorry buddy and aim for the head[about 5 feet away] and BLAM,cats head goes down but goes right back up.:eek:I umm ...missed.So I shoot lower missed again,and twice more.Hey I said this was embarassing right ?:cool:So now I realize they are some homes behind me,maybe 200 yards away and think okay no doubt somebodys called the cops after hearing loud gunfire.So I get outa Dodge.Checked on the cat later and it was dead.I couldnt find any bullet holes so I guess either I missed or the bullets if any did hit pnciled through with no expansion.But 230 grn Hydra Shoks oughta open up so I missed.:rolleyes:Hows that for a gun story ?:D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I learned from shooting poisonous snakes at close range that you have to practice to know where the bullet is going. The line of sight throws you off up close.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep,I could see the bullets hitting the dirt.I didnt miss by much :D I don't practice at five feet ,maybe I should start.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That is funny that you missed. Sorry to hear about the cat. I saw three cats along the roadside this week. Makes you think about who lost it and how they will be looking for it.:(

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I feel sorry for the cat. You did the right thing in wanting to put it out of it's misery, Just didn't get the job done. More practice at close range needed.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
get about a foot away next time.... a little splatter wont hurt.

props for " doing " the right thing.....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I know how Clint Eastwood felt in Unforgiven when he couldnt hit anything with a pistol and went inside for the shotgun.:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
I thought for a minute the cat in your story was going to end up like a cat of ours. Several years ago, when backing up the driveway after work, I ran over one of our young cats. Its head, in fact. What made it worse, it was my "baby" sister's favorite.
I went inside and told my mom, and said I had to make sure I got up extra early in the morning to go bury the cat before Sis found out. We could think of a way to break the news later...
Next morning, oh dark thirty, I went outside and... the cat was gone! "Great!", I thought, "a dog has dragged it off." I could just imagine finding cat fragments somewhere or worse, my sister finding them. After my sister left for school, my mom and I looked high and low for the cat. No sign except for the blood in the driveway at the "scene of the crime".

A week or so later, my mom spotted the cat in the woodpile. Barely alive and just out of reach. After a couple of days of coaxing she got the cat to come out and nursed her back to health. My sister had already assumed that the cat had run off. Now she supposed that the cat got run over (true) and had made it back home somehow. The cat had lost most of its teeth and what were left were pointing every which way. One side of its forehead was sunken in and its eyes were badly crossed. After a couple of months living in the house, she was well enough to go back outside and join the rest of the "herd" (we had 42 at one point on the farm!).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most sights sit about half an inch above the bore so aim high and make certain there is nothing beyond which can cause a ricochette back at you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That sucks man but you did the right thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poor cat, but yeah. You did the right thing by at least trying to put it down. Just hope you didn't have bullets flying your way as well!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad that you didn't get into trouble trying to do the right thing. I don't practice shooting at 5 feet either,maybe I should allot a few rounds for extreme close-up shooting during my next range visit. Stories like this only serve to reinforce why my 2 cats stay indoors.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, your good samaritan act was cheaper than mine. Last week I saw a kitten in the middle of the road struggling. No blood or visible injury, so I put on some leather gloves, picked it up, put it in a box, and took it to my local vet. It's back was broken and the vet said it had no real chance so the best thing was to put it down. Gave me 50% off and it still cost me $104. Your way was much cheaper.

No way I could have gotten away with discharging a gun on a busy city street, though - so I guess 100 bucks is still cheaper than a trip to jail.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had to put our family cat down last year. I didn't feel like paying target practice, so it was muzzle to the back of the head when the spine meets with a 22lr. Sad day.

Glad to see empathy isn't gone. You tried to do the right thing, but horseshoes and handgrenades....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts