·
Registered
17,074 Posts
RIP Merle.
They aint makin'em like Merle anymore.

·
Super Moderator
21,402 Posts
There is something just wrong dying on your birthday. It's like I made another one and wrong. RIP.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I love the Hagg... saw him in Branson, show was opened by Larry the Cable Guy! About the time of Kern River and That's the Way Love Goes, his voice reached perfection... Looks like the Okie from Muskogee's goin home. BH

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Gonna miss the Hag. Saw him a few years back. What a show. Just come out and do what you do. RIP

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
All the good ones are all slipping away ... RIP Merle ...

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,334 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was blessed with seeing Merle and Bonnie Owens in Tulsa, about 1972. It was a great evening. They had this cute little blonde do an open for him. She could play absolutely every instrument in the band, but I'd never heard of Barbara Mandrell ! I've listened to Merle Music for a long time, and frankly I think every song is my favorite! God blessed you, Merle, and may He bless you forever !

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
"I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
A place where even squares can have a ball
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all"

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Reading the above lines, I can hear Merle singing it in my head.... Yep, he'll be missed... But at least in our time, his music will live on with Patsy, Loretta, George, Buck, Boxcar, and so many others and played and sang music that you could actually listen to. Not many now-a-day singers do I care to hear anything from. Country just isn't country any more.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Merle and waylon were two of my dad's all time favourites.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
When country was still country, got to see him back in the 80,s it was the best concert
He will be missed. I dug up a bunch of his music last night forgot how many great songs he wrote . R.I.P.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't know how many people I've told over the years,"my Dad is a genuine Okie from Muskogee", he and his brothers and sisters were all born and raised there.

RIP Merle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts