Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting on a board or two that I sometimes carry my Ruger P97 "Mexican style" while walking my dog in the evening, I've gotten some replies that suggest that this is not a good thing to do. Some of them have even suggested that it's a good way to shoot off a certain part of my anatomy, which of course, would not be a desirable outcome.

I disagree, though. First of all, my idea of "Mexican carry" is to carry the gun in my waistband behind my right hipbone. Here, the muzzle doesn't come anywhere near my, um, groin area, and I feel that, with the right gun, this type of carry is perfectly safe, as safe as it would be in a holster.

I only carry DA autos in this manner (revolver cylinders make Mexican carry uncomfortable for me, and guns with short trigger pulls -- Glocks, etc. -- I don't feel are safe for this type of carry), and in fact I only carry my P97 this way, since it's stainless and won't rust because of me sweating on it. (I'm not saying that SA autos cannot be carried safely this way -- my first exposure to "Mexican carry" came from reading Skeeter Skelton's tales of carrying his 1911 that way -- I simply don't own one.) And I find that the gun is very secure with this manner of carry -- I can even run without it moving around.

I do not, of course, carry in this manner in "public" (yes, it's a public road, but we're in the country), because the gun sometimes "prints" under my shirttail. But, for walking the dog in the evening on our semi rural road, I find it ideal.

What do you good folks think of "Mexican carry"?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
there are many that like it. Its not for me I like a belt holster my self. I like Don Humes they have what I like at a price I like, JMHO

·
Registered
758 Posts
I carry Mexican style quite frequently, especially when I change/dress and leave the house in a hurry.

I carry a P90T ready to rock 'n roll in double action most of the time and Mexican style is the best way to keep it from printing BIG.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
A lot of folks have a lot of confoosion about Mexican carry...when I was a lad, it meant at or just behind the strong side hip, butt forward...and was a favorite for holsterless on a 1911 or Hi-Power...not so good for revolvers...you could, if you got too eager to touch the trigger, shoot yourself in the butt...but if you kept your finner offada trigger...no problem, and, as Bunzo says, it's quick and hides well...specially if you have love handles...and is quite secure...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I need a holster I got so much love handle that I might not ever get the gun out. And my butt has been chewed so many times that I have nothing back there to shoot lol.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I've "Mexican" carried in the past on under cover assignments, never had a problem with it staying put. Most often they were small caliber (.380 PPK), but occasionally a 1911. Never tired it with a revolver.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As of late, I have been carrying a Walther PPK/S in a pocket in lieu of Mexican carry. It slips in and out slicker 'n sont on glass.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks, that's as good as a set of Zane Grey's books....which I'm looking for....Skeeter was rough and real...a man for these times....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks, but I reckon I'd best keep searchin' garage sales...that'd cut into my Kibbles'n'Bits budget too much....:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
But when my sister's hoarding our hardback book club set that Dad paid like 99 cents each for back in the 60s...it's expensive...she's had them in storage and I couldn't get them out of her with dynamite...she keeps things......

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Mexican Carry got it's name from the fact that gun laws were passed in Mexico in the early 1900s that banned citizens from carrying firearms. So the Mexican vaqueros had to hang up their holsters and gunbelts or be arrested. The solution was to stuff their revolvers down the front of the pants, usually across the body on a crossdraw fashion so it was somewhat concealed but easily accessible. Then if the soldiers or law dogs showed up, they could just pull it out and hide it until the coast was clear. The term Mexican Carry came to be known as any behind the belt carry not using a holster. It's drawback is the limitation on physical activity that can cause the gun to jump up from behind the belt and fall out or the embarrassing habit of the gun to slip down and end up at the bottom of your pants leg. Sometimes I will carry front of the pants strong side with the SP101 while out in the yard or walking the dog. Feels pretty secure if properly positioned.

·
Banned
298 Posts
It's exactly how I carry my p97 most of the time. I have a couple different holsters, but it's just easier to cram it in the small of my back.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't carry in the small of my back without a holster. My "Mexican carry" is just behind my right hip bone, which makes the gun really stable. My snug but not too tight pants keep the gun from falling out or down, as does the gun butt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I carry Mexican style frequently. Some of my jeans don't fit an IWB holster. But the gun sans holster fit just fine. Works fine for a casual stroll or hike.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bestseller92, I have never had a problem carrying mexican style. One time I was fishing just below a dam. I was starting to cross the river which was low to fish some holes on the other side. I was carrying a 1911 mexican style cocked & locked. They turned more water in the river,I was swept off my feet,my hip boots filled with water. I was carried about 100 yards downstream where I managed to grab an overhanging tree limb & pull myself out. At the end of this ordeal my 1911 was still where I'd put it behind my right hip no worse for wear except being thououghly drenched as was I. I had lost all my fishing equipment but not my life or 1911. I still carry that way. Frank

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.