Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , as I progress in preparing to produce my first 9mm reloads , I come to realize that i will need to buy a micrometer to measure the length of the case as well as the entire finished bullet. I went to the hardware store and checked out a few. The only problem is that I can't figure the darn thing out. So I didn't buy one. So now im gonna research micrometers . Any simple suggestions ? I was thinking of just measuring a factory round and adjusting to that .

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
I use a digital caliper to measure cases and finished oal. They are real simple and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would suggest the same thing. Digital calipers are super simple to read.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is one I use. It works fine.

RCBS Dial Caliper 6 SS

You should use the COAL of the bullet you're using from a reloading manual.

edit: OAL is very important in 9mm due to it being a high pressure round. Increased seating depth will increase pressure.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harbor Freight SS Dial Calibers work great - stay away from plastic ones. For the difference in cost between the overpriced RCBS and the imports, you can buy a Dillon Case gage. https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages THESE are GREAT! I have them for every caliber I reload.
Thank you to all. What about the full length of the bullet? The die instruction page shows that the length of the case should be for 9mm .754 in, or 19.15 mm and the length of the finished bullet should be 1.169 in or 29.69 mm , max lengths . Does the case gauge measure both?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is one I use. It works fine.

RCBS Dial Caliper 6 SS

You should use the COAL of the bullet you're using from a reloading manual.

edit: OAL is very important in 9mm due to it being a high pressure round. Increased seating depth will increase pressure.
Thanks, tell me where to take the oal measure. The the chart that the die set came with lists the min oal , I was kind ignoring it until now. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks, tell me where to take the oal measure. The the chart that the die set came with lists the min oal , I was kind ignoring it until now. Thanks.
I use the calipers. Measure the completed round from the base of the case to the bullet tip.

This a .45 round, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh! I knew I had to measure the length , I just didn't know it was called oal . I'm assuming it's an acronym .

·
Registered
76 Posts
COAL=complete overall length

OAL=over all length

Same thing far as I can tell :)

All this stuff can be found in a reloading manual or ABCs of Reloading. Another good one is Lyman 49. I recommend all of them.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
A micrometer is usually for measuring under 1 inch to the 1,000 of an inch or 10,000 of an inch. So a caliper would be the way to go.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Being a retired machinist, I still have my Starrett micrometers and dial calipers. All I've ever used. Some of the shops I worked at gave us Mitutoyo mics and calipers to use. They were junk so I bought my own Starrett instruments...still the best IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts