Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to trade my p97dc for a kahr pm9+ 6 mags. I like the Ruger but could never get it to run 100%. Always has FTF or FTE problems of some sort. I have to take it out one more time though to make sure with some factory ammo since most of the time I shoot reloads. It's not my reloads either. I have a Kimber that shoots them fine. Maybe the Ruger will only shoot factory, I don't know.

I have already sent the pistol back to Ruger for some work, but if I can't get it to run at 100% it's useless to me.
martinbr

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have 2 Ruger 97's and they are both 100%. I shoot my reloads all the time in mine. Your individual gun might have a problem but it is not characteristic with the models. Have you tried to locate the problem that is causing it to jam? Have you had someone else to shoot it to see if they have the problem? If you unconsciously limp wristing it sometimes that can cause the problems you are having.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's limp wristing. I hold a pretty firm grip by locking my thumb around my support hand and using my index finger to support on the reciever. I have a feeling it's the reloads that I loaded. I am going out with some factory ammo today or tomorrow and see how it does.

The batch of reloads that I used originally on it when it acted up had a pretty light charge also. This might have been the problem. I have since then increased my charges and am going over to FP's instead of SWC's.
martinbr

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Good thought. Too light loads could cause the problem Keep trying and eliminating and I bet you can find the problem and solve it. When you do you will already have a excellent gun.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Don't know about your's but my P97 was a bit picky with 200Gr SWCs at first. One big reason after checking, I found some of my reloads were not up to par. As long as I've been reloading there was no excuse for me except maybe HIA syndrome after a fairly long lay off. Now it eats about anything halfway decent I feed it.
Baker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it out today and ran some more reloads thru it and then a box of factory. I did much better with a stronger charge and FP bullets. Had a couple that wouldn't feed but that was my fault with a new Hornady expander thru kit that I just installed on my powder measure. As much as I would like to have the Kahr, I think I am going to have to pass on it since you can't get p97's anymore. It's just too much fun to shoot!
martinbr

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Martin, I think that you will get the kinks worked out of your 97 where you could carry it for CCW if you wanted to. I have carried one for several years. I have a Lee Turret Press and after I got the bullet seating depth worked out and I don't move it. I have it set where I load all my .45's the same. Right now I bought a bulk supply of Remington Golden Sabre hollow points 230 Gr. on sale and are using them. I use 6 gr. Unique and shoot them in 2 97's, a 90, and a 345 and no jams of any kind with any of them. I think you will get it worked out where you will enjoy yours. Might check the magazines, if you haven't already done so, and see if they are dirty or need a little lube so they wont hang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts