Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching an "unboxing" video on YouTube and I was struck by something. No, this was not that kind of unboxing video (the kind where some guy makes you angry while he opens a box with a gun in it that you really want, but can't afford). No, in this video a guy at a large online firearms retailer received a truckload of imported military surplus rifles, and he was opening all the crates.

I realized that all those rifles (well over 1,000 of them) will rather quickly be sold to Americans, and will join the multitudes of other rifles already owned by Americans. For years now, importers have been scouring the world's warehouses, searching for every military surplus firearm available, and have been bringing them here where they pretty much sell like hotcakes.

Folks, we have a lot of guns. Our appetite for them seems to be an ever increasing one that can never be satisfied.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
Count me in. The last three movies that I watched on Netflix, Lord of War, Saints and Soldiers, and Windtalkers had me drooling.

·
Banned
84 Posts
guns

Folks, we have a lot of guns. Our appetite for them seems to be an ever increasing one that can never be satisfied.
I've seen this quote somewhere so I hope I get it right:

"I have all the guns that I'll ever need but I don't have all the guns that I'll ever want".

BK

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was watching an "unboxing" video on YouTube and I was struck by something. No, this was not that kind of unboxing video (the kind where some guy makes you angry while he opens a box with a gun in it that you really want, but can't afford). No, in this video a guy at a large online firearms retailer received a truckload of imported military surplus rifles, and he was opening all the crates.

I realized that all those rifles (well over 1,000 of them) will rather quickly be sold to Americans, and will join the multitudes of other rifles already owned by Americans. For years now, importers have been scouring the world's warehouses, searching for every military surplus firearm available, and have been bringing them here where they pretty much sell like hotcakes.

And...???

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But didn't you read the survey that said fewer and fewer americans own guns. I read it but know it was hogwash.
Ya think? The company that posted the video I watched sells lots of imported military surplus rifles. The video I spoke of was only one of several they have posted showing unboxing of huge shipments of guns.

In my personal experience, I can't help but to be impressed by how many Mosins I've seen in gun stores all over the place. And that's just military surplus rifles. Ruger's goal is to make and sell 2,000,000 new guns by the next NRA convention. They may be the largest, but they are just one of many manufacturers making and selling new guns.

As for the survey, I suspect many of those who responded had lost most of their firearms in freak boating accidents. ;)

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Time to buy another safe. :D

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I never developed an erge for foreign military stuff, But I sure like my U.S military rifles. My favorite is the 1903 Springfield. I love shooting mine. There's just something about taking a 100 year old pre WW1 rifle and hitting paper plates @ 500 yards. It just makes me fell all warm and fuzzy inside. :p.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts

What's your point?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I used to have a pile of military surplus rifles in calibers most people have never heard of.........however I sold most of them, and got more in to revolver shooting. Last year I brought in a literal truck load of 8mm Mauser to sell at my local gun shop, my parents wanted it out of their barn. Probably over 200,000 rounds in there. At the "peak" of my interest in rifle shooting I had 3x that on hand.

Just hard to have fun with guns in long dead calibers when you don't handload and the rounds cost $5 a piece........and I need to shoot my guns, not just look at them. Most of my shooting was with 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, and .303.

I had dozens of 8mm (7.92 for the purists) Mausers, .303 Enfields, Mosins, etc. I kept a few Mosins, a Garand, and a few others........I couldn't let go of that wonderfully hideous MAS 36 7.5 French rifle, it was one of my first and is in like new condition. Very accurate and solid rifle. My Dad bought a MAS 49/56 that's also a blast to shoot, pretty much like shooting a French-ified Mini-30.

I recall even a short 15 years ago going to places like SARCO in NJ, and also larger gun shows and surplus European military rifles were ALL over the place, and for cheap. I used to buy so many I had to bring an armload of rifles to my car, and go back in the show to keep looking. Yugo Mausers for $70, Mosins for $40, couldn't get enough of them.......fired many 10's upon 10's of thousands of dirt cheap surplus ammo through them, oddballs like Polish Mausers, Polish Mosins, Jap 6.5 Type .38's lots of fun to shoot. I would often break open an 8-900 round wood crate of 8mm at the range and end of throwing the crate back in my car, empty, after hours of shooting. Had to use a PAST shoulder recoil pad so I wouldn't hurt myself:)

Part of me sometimes temtps me to use my C&R license to start "rebuilding", but I will never own that many rifles again, my interests changed. Plus, the lifespan of a military rifle bore is maybe 10-20,000 rounds, I had a Turk Mauser that I actually did "shoot out", since a case of 1,000 rounds of surplus 8mm was like $50. Shot that thing until it got so hot the handguard started smoking a couple of times. I got so good with bolt rifles that I could shoot as fast in aimed, deliberate fire with a .303 Enfield as someone with a semi-auto using the old technique of using the palm of the hand to work the bolt and the ring finger to pull the trigger. I would go shooting at least once a week, fired so many rounds through old bolt guns I think working the actions of those things became a part of my DNA:)

But once those bores wear out, either you hunt down a replacement barrel and find someone willing to replace it,and headspace it, etc.or you've got a wallhanger. Some guys I knew got away with twisting on new barrels with pipe wrenches but that's not an exact science.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts

We can have all the guns we want, so what's your point? I personally feel if you can afford to buy one every day, that's your right.

It's not about how many I need, it's about how many I want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts