Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a few rifles I wasn't fond of. My buddy finally convinced me to get a Colt AR. I usually build mine, but I decided I could live with a factory build (aside from the Sport).

My friend has worked towards cloning a SOPMOD build... I believe he tried for a block I. I'm still deciding what I want to do with this rifle, but I ordered parts to point myself in the SOPMOD direction.

I was going to buy a Colt OEM-1, but after price checking, I found this model with furniture for $20 more. I figured I can always sell the furniture...

I bought an Aimpoint PRO and a KAC flip up sight for quality and to mimic the SOPMOD rifles.

This is what I have so far... it still needs to be cleaned and shot. Soon.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Very cool rifle NH! I like it! You really bought some mighty fine hardware with that one - looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool rifle NH! I like it! You really bought some mighty fine hardware with that one - looking forward to hearing how it shoots.
Thanks. I am eager to see what it can do. A free float rail may be in its future... SOPMOD approved, of course.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is SOPMOD?
Great question! I'm still asking that AND I'm an AR lover...

It's a list of approved builds for the military. SOPMOD stands for the*Special Operations Peculiar MODification*(SOPMOD).

As I am aware, there is block I, 1.5, and II. All have specifications.

Here is a reasonable link. The die hards are at ar15.com
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOPMOD

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looks great mate.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Slick looking rig. Hopefully she shoots as good as she looks.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
You know I can't let you slide by without a poke in the ribs! I really like that furniture and I'm surprised Colt would market it. It looks like a custom hydro dipped job. Not that Colt shouldn't market it rather it's surprising that they would deviate from basic black, FDE, etc.

Is this a "Distributor Exclusive" rifle or is Colt really that innovative? It seems over at good 'ol Ruger it takes a Distributor to come up with a really cool product.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
Great looking AR!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know I can't let you slide by without a poke in the ribs! I really like that furniture and I'm surprised Colt would market it. It looks like a custom hydro dipped job. Not that Colt shouldn't market it rather it's surprising that they would deviate from basic black, FDE, etc.

Is this a "Distributor Exclusive" rifle or is Colt really that innovative? It seems over at good 'ol Ruger it takes a Distributor to come up with a really cool product.
Another question - does the Aimpoint have any magnification?
I don't believe this is an exclusive... just a 6920 with hydro dipped Magpul furniture. I could be wrong. I did research that aspect.

The Aimpoint does not have magnification. It's a 2 MOA red dot. Nice and clear too!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Have you tried the trigger yet? I hear so much about "crappy stock triggers" I was wondering of Colt has a better stock trigger in general.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It feels like a Milspec trigger. But it's waaaay better than the AR556 trigger, but not as crisp as the S&W Sport. :p

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice brother I like it ! Can't beat an Aimpoint , have one on my Socom and its a very solid piece
Never had one before, but won't let this go. It is definitely a quality optic.

Please let's not open that can of worms again.....

"My crappy stock trigger is better than your crappy stock trigger!"
For realzzzz. Just shoot the darn thing.

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle. I like it!

Since you normally build your AR's I'd love to hear your opinion of the 6920 after you've had time to wring it out a bit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts