Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys has any one used militec on there guns i did a search on the forum and could not find any post!
and if you have used it do you think a 1/2 bottle will cover 2 guns???[?]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used Militec-1 before on internal parts and I'm happy with it. It's a bit of a pain to use. You have to strip everything and detail clean every part. Then you apply the Militec and rub it in. Then all the parts go on a tray and into the oven, set for 130 degree F, for 2 hours. Watch the oven closely, because you don't want the temp to go over 150. I used 2 thermometers just to be sure. After 2 hours the chemical magic has happened, so you take everything out, and give it another coat. Then it's back into the oven for another 2 hours. Militec says you can do this up to 4 times in a row and still get some benefit, but I've never had the patience to do it more than 2 times. A 150 oven will not harm springs, but I didn't take the chance.

I just did the treatment last night on my new SP101. Not only did I do all the internal parts (except for the exposed areas of the trigger and hammer, just in case the stuff stained the metal, although it didn't) I also coated any areas inside the frame where it looked like things were rubbing.

Two applications used up almost a tablespoon of militec, and most of that was absorbed by the Q-tips and patches I used to apply the stuff with. So my quart bottle should last 100 lifetimes, assuming I don't pour the rest into my crankcase. It's supposed to do good things for your car engine too.

Does it work? I think so. I put the SP101 back together and the action seems to function smoother. I took it apart and added a couple drops of TetraGun oil in all the right places anyway, just to be sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did NOT coat the outside of the gun with Militec-1, nor did I do the inside of the barrel. They say you can, but I elected not too. I use TSI-301 for those surfaces, and that works like magic.

Some years ago I tried Militec-1 on the inside of a rifle barrel. And at the same time I dosed a batch of bullets with the stuff. I figured that would cut friction way down and give me higher velocity, right?

Well, I can't speak to any velocity difference, or any better accuracy, but I did notice an increase in copper fouling. A few hundred rounds later and I figure I've shot the stuff out of the bore, so I've gone back to TSI-301. And no more copper fouling. For that job, TSI-301 is a better product in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Miltec

I've been lurking on the site for a while but wanted to reply to this question.

My son has been using Miltec in Iraq and has been impressed with it. He has been using the lubricant. He tested it out at the range and during qualification before using it on a daily basis. He said that dust, grit and sand did not stick to his weapon nearly as much as it did when using the issue CLP.
Any that did get on the weapon came right off, again much easier than with the issue lube.
Miltec has a program where they send their products to any active duty military. I signed my son up and he received two large cans of their metal conditioner and lubricant. They shiped them to his APO address. He has not used the metal conditioner as of the last time that I talked to him but was impressed with the lube. His weapon is the 240 SAW when they dismount.

I just wanted to pass along his experience with this product under some pretty severe conditions.

I also tip my hat to the company for supporting our service personel.

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts