Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mini “Scout” rails

I’ve decided that I want the ability to forward mount an long eye relief scope on my Mini-14, but am somewhat overwhelmed in trying to evaluate the various options in the marketplace. So far I’ve found the following options:

There is the Aimtech mount ( Rifle Mounts ), which evidently allows you to still use your iron sights with an optic mounted… It seems like a great idea and at around $80, it seems like a reasonable option, but I’m concerned about the resulting height of the scope

Then there are the UltiMak ( Mini-14, Mini-30 Optic Mounts, Scope Mount, Mini-14 / 30 Stock Set, Optics ) and Amega ( Amega Mounts Home page ) mounts, which both seem to keep the scope low. The downside here is that they are a bit more spendy at around $150 & the iron’s are only usable if the scope is removed; so the iron’s to be an effective backup, I’d probably need to invest in some quick release rings, which just adds more to the cost....

Finally, there is the ProMag tactical rail ( http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/pm141a.htm ) that attaches to the scope mounts; it’s the least expensive at around $65, but it prevents use of the iron sights completely (has to be removed for them to be usable) and it also seems like it would add hieght to the optic ….

I’d like to hear from any Mini owners who’ve used one or more of these rails on their guns, or at least seen them on a Mini firsthand

Reactions: PapaMAS

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller .... Bueller??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bueller .... Bueller??
Just get the Amega mount. It is the best constructed in my opinion.
With your scope/red dot, just mount it with quick releases and take it off if you have a failure.
With regards to the tunnel and making the irons available while the scope is still on is just not worth even talking about.
The whole idea of being able to use your irons if the scope is still on is silly. that little tunnel will not give enough point of reference. In other words, your sight picture will be very small (think a scope at 10x), but you won't have the magnification. In other words, the sights just won't work worth beans if the scope is still on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
How did this work out for you? I have been thinking of getting a scout rail lately.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did this work out for you? I have been thinking of getting a scout rail lately.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I missed your question when you posted it...

Anyway, I went with the Utilmak and put a Millet SP1 Red-Dot on Weaver See-thru rings so that the irons are useable with the optic mounted ... I had a CT Rail-master sitting around that I wasn't using and a 45deg offset, so I threw it on for the heck of it; I'm still on the fence if it's there for the long-term...

Anyway, here's a pic of the rail & optic mounted (sorry, it's a cruddy cell phone pic):

I went with the Ultimak in the end because I'd read a lot of positive reviews about how it mounts, plus it's basically flush with the top of the receiver. It installed quickly & easily and I've been very happy with it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding, I missed your question when you posted it...
No problem. I'm stealthy like that. :)

I went with the Ultimak in the end because I'd read a lot of positive reviews about how it mounts, plus it's basically flush with the top of the receiver. It installed quickly & easily and I've been very happy with it!
I went with the Amega. It's not flush with the top of the receiver (up about a quarter inch), but that's not a problem for me. It installed pretty easy, too, and the directions were pretty good.

My Vortec Sparc red dot fits on it great. I got the added side rails so I could hang a light and a laser on it, when I figure out which ones I want. Right now I have my scope on it (using the Ruger mounts) instead of the red dot 'cause I wanna do some longer range shooting soon. Eventually I plan to keep it mostly with the red dot.

Question: why did you want to put on a long eye relief scope? Not sayin' anything negative, just curious what it gives you.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Question: why did you want to put on a long eye relief scope? Not sayin' anything negative, just curious what it gives you.
As I understand it, the theory is that it makes it easier to keep both eyes open to acquire and then track your target...

I had a 2-7x28 LER on the Mini for a while and loved how quick I could get on target with it; but the reality is my Mini is for 150yds or < and the red-dot is perfect for that ...

The cheapo 2-7x28 found a home sitting forward on a scout rail on a 10/22LVT; the squirrels & rabbits don't stand a chance!

My next "scout" type rifle is a M1 Garand Tanker and it's my intention to put a nicer piece of glass on it (like this one: Nikon Force XR EER Pistol Scope 2.5-8x 28mm BDC Reticle)

·
Registered
143 Posts
but the reality is my Mini is for 150yds or < and the red-dot is perfect for that ...
Yeah, that's the way I am approaching my Mini as well. I want to see what it can do at 150+ yards, then I'll take the scope off and use the red dot for most of the time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like your setup. Thr Ultimak and Amega rails look nice. I think the Aimtech is uuggllyy!! ;)
Agreed! Plus, I am hoping the Amega being snugged up with the barrel will give it more stiffness in the horizontal (Gawd! Did I really just write that? :eek:) like my Accustrut gives in the vertical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts