Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Well, if nothing else, the longer mags provide a bigger handle with which to manipulate the magazine, and that helps . . . IMHO.

It’s worth noting that Mini magazines are not inserted by just stuffing them up into the rifle. They are inserted similar to those in the M1A. The magazine is inserted with the front edge leading up into the rifle until it is fully seated and then the magazine is rocked up and to the rear until it latches. Removal is just the reverse . . . the mag release is pulled and the magazine is pulled down at the rear, rocking it somewhat forward at which point it can be pulled all the way out.

The action either way is NOT a straight-line motion as on an AR type rifle.

Check page 16 in the Ruger manual . . . https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, if nothing else, the longer mags provide a bigger handle with which to manipulate the magazine, and that helps . . . IMHO.

It’s worth noting that Mini magazines are not inserted by just stuffing them up into the rifle. They are inserted similar to those in the M1A. The magazine is inserted with the front edge leading up into the rifle until it is fully seated and then the magazine is rocked up and to the rear until it latches. Removal is just the reverse . . . the mag release is pulled and the magazine is pulled down at the rear, rocking it somewhat forward at which point it can be pulled all the way out.

The action either way is NOT a straight-line motion as on an AR type rifle.

Check page 16 in the Ruger manual . . . https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

:)
Yeah I got that part. I figured it to be more like an AK mag drill.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with "pinned" or blocked magazines?

Being from a restricted state, I am limited to 10 rounds, but am allowed to have 20/30 round magazines that are permanently modified to 10 rounds...
Yes: I'd be interested in detailed info/photos on what size rivet and where to place it to make a legal 10 round Mini 14 magazine from a Ruger 20 rounder.

·
Registered
690 Posts
While I trained with the M14 in basic and have a M1A now so I'm familiar with the rocking insertion of the mag, I found that inserting the 5rd and 10rd was a bit awkward. I stick with the 20rd as they are easier to insert and remove. My heart goes out to those in restricted states like Commiefornia (I lived in the Bay Area for 24 yrs).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes: I'd be interested in detailed info/photos on what size rivet and where to place it to make a legal 10 round Mini 14 magazine from a Ruger 20 rounder.
I ordered my 5817 from an FFL in San Gabriel. It came with 20 rounders so he had to modify them in order to give them to me. I don't know what size rivet he used, but I'll take a pic and post later this week. It's in the middle of the base plate holding the inside blocker. Can't open it which makes it permanently modified per Califacists decrees. :mad: One works perfectly, the other sometimes only allows 9 rounds. A little lube seems to help. They both feed flawlessly.

I also have 4 Pro-mag chrome 10 rounders. They all work fine and haven't had any issues. Mainly shoot PMC 55 gr. FMJBT. 5.556 M855 sometimes sticks on the first round, but the rest go through fine.

·
Exalted One
1,621 Posts
tc, I feel for you guys out there. It just seems obscene to violate a perfectly good 20-rounder.

Glad the ProMags work for you. PMC Bronze 55gr FMJBT is my favorite ammo.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts