Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been discussed here before but after searching I can't find the thread.

Does anyone have a Ruger Factory document/reference on 5.56 use in the Mini-14?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Holy,

Can't help you there other than to say I've owned a .223 Mini since 1982 - I've always shot 5.56mm Nato out of it since I never knew there was a difference. I can say I've never had any problems with it.

Have you tried looking online at the Ruger website for manual documentation?

TJB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy,

Can't help you there other than to say I've owned a .223 Mini since 1982 - I've always shot 5.56mm Nato out of it since I never knew there was a difference. I can say I've never had any problems with it.

Have you tried looking online at the Ruger website for manual documentation?

TJB

Yes but without success.

Thanks for the response.

I've heard conflicting opinions that's why I'd like to see something in writing from Ruger or at least hear from a gun smith that has attended a Ruger armorers class.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hmm. The only relevant question IMHO is - can one use these rounds interchangeably, or not?

Seems that technical experts are at odds with each other?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. The only relevant question IMHO is - can one use these rounds interchangeably, or not?

Seems that technical experts are at odds with each other?
IIRC 5.56 is thicker at the neck and creates significantly more chamber pressure.

I know for a fact that firing a .223 round in a 5.56 weapon has no ill effect. The converse is also true is that firing a 5.56 (repeatedly) will damage the .223 weapon (over time).

What I don’t know (for sure) is whether the Mini 14 is truly a 5.56 weapon.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
IIRC 5.56 is thicker at the neck and creates significantly more chamber pressure.

I know for a fact that firing a .223 round in a 5.56 weapon has no ill effect. The converse is also true is that firing a 5.56 (repeatedly) will damage the .223 weapon (over time).

What I don’t know (for sure) is whether the Mini 14 is truly a 5.56 weapon.

^ This. ^

I don't know about the Mini 14, but I'll share this little bit of info. Many AR receivers are stamped w/ the wylde designation 223/5.56, meaning it can shoot either, but the barrel indicates what caliber the weapon is intended to shoot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As I understand it, and I may be wrong, but there are some Mini-14s that can shoot the 5.56 and some that can't.

The only way I've heard to make sure is to look at the user's manual for your particular rifle.

I think that's what I read here once.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
From what I have always heard is that with a rifle chambered in .223 it depends on the tolerences of the individual rifle. If it is on the tight side you will have problems, on the loose side you are fine.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My 580 series will shoot either according to the manual. 5.56 is slightly different from the .223. I believe any weapon that can fire a 5.56 can safely fire a .223.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The new Target Mini's are .223 Remington only. The others can handle 5.56 no problem.

Ed

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was looking at the NEW 2010 Ruger catalog and ALL Mini-14 are listed as .223 Rem. This was a surprise. I wonder if this is a miss print or are they chambering them for only the .223 Rem.

Could they be chambering them as .223 Rem to get around states like Calif.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,222 Posts
Nam62, Ruger uses the civilian nomenclature, which is 223 Remington. 5.56 NATO ammo shares exactly the same outside case dimensions as a 223 Rem. Military 5.56 NATO ammo is loaded to 58,750 psi chamber pressure (measured at the neck) whereas 223 Rem ammo is loaded to 55,000 psi (52k CUP) and is measured at the mid point on the case body. When 5.56 NATO ammo is measured like SAAMI civilian ammo, it works out to about 62,000 psi chamber pressure.

Crazy Ed got it right .... only the Mini-14 Target model is restricted to 223 Rem ammo. All other Mini-14s will shoot 5.56 NATO ammo without damaging the gun.

The leade in the throat of the chamber is typically 3 degrees in most 223 Rem bolt rifles and works much like a forcing cone. In all Mini-14s except the Target Mini, the leade is 5 degrees and a bit deeper, much like AR-15/M-16s. The Target Mini has a shorter 3 degree leade more like a bolt gun to optimize accuracy with civilian ammo. Shooting 5.56 NATO in a Mini Target will erode the throat and cause a loss of accuracy but otherwise, the Mini Target is plenty strong enough for the extra 5.56 NATO pressures.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Iowegan. It's adds more confusion seeing it in the new catalog. I've always used 5.56 in my series 181 mini-14. I now have added the new Ruger SR-556 to my collection and it's a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great info...

I was just having this conversation at work today..I've always wonderd if it was safe to use 5.56 in a mini. My owners manual doesn't say one way or the other so I've past up an oppurtunity or two to p/u some LC 5.56 at a great price :( If there is a "next time" I'll be sure and jump on the 5.56.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI:
62grain SS109 5.56 NATO will damage your mini. I learned the hard way after going through about 1200 rounds of the stuff. The tab on the op rod/slide assembly got dented, and began slipping out of the channel on the receiver. :(

I picked up the new slide assembly recently, now I'm considering the adjustable gas block, to prevent this from happening again. I will probably do it the next time $100 bucks falls in my lap.:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
i own a 2008 nra edition and the handbook says both can be used in my mini 14

1 - 20 of 130 Posts