Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
From Owners Manual

The RUGER® MINI-14® RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Mini-14 Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Ammunition Warning”, below. USE ONLY FACTORY AMMUNITION LOADED TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 580 manual states it can shoot both. Maybe the receiver being stamped 223 has to do with Bill Ruger's philosophy/trying to avoid the 556 designation, possible military caliber ban?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My 185 series mini has experienced some jamming problems since adding a handguard with an intergral scope rail on it and my Smiths latest reasoning behind the jamming was that the 5.56 was "slightly longer and I should try shooting it with .223 only. (he was wrong and prob not solved)

He said thats why many gun on an AR platform are using a wydel (sp) chamber because it's designed to handle both rounds. I had always thought .223 was 5.56 no matter how you cut it.

You need to get a real gunsmith who actually knows facts.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,222 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I can't believe this old thread has been resurrected. The answer is still the same as is was in post #15, back in October 2009.
Even though this has been answered many times throughout this thread, it's always fun to read what new members have to say here.
Besides, it keeps bringing me back to these forums via my subscription notifications. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
from the Ruger manual

"The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardiz U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

That should clear this up, eh?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although far from an expert, I have thought about that same question and come up with a somewhat logical explanation. The manual for my 580 states that 223/5.56 is good to go. I have shot both and encountered no issues. After some online reading in regards to countries banning military caliber rifles, I think the answer lies somewhere in there. Maybe Ruger had the foresight of such a problem. The argument that 223 is a sporting caliber versus the 5.56 being a military designation. I personally try to buy more of the 5.56 but most times grab the 223 for pennies less.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy,

Can't help you there other than to say I've owned a .223 Mini since 1982 - I've always shot 5.56mm Nato out of it since I never knew there was a difference. I can say I've never had any problems with it.

Have you tried looking online at the Ruger website for manual documentation?

TJB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy,

Can't help you there other than to say I've owned a .223 Mini since 1982 - I've always shot 5.56mm Nato out of it since I never knew there was a difference. I can say I've never had any problems with it.

Have you tried looking online at the Ruger website for manual documentation?

TJB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a mini 14 i purchased back in 1993 , the manual reads as follows. "the ranch rifle chambered for the 223 remington
is designed to use either standardized US military or factory loaded 223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

·
Registered
978 Posts
I own a mini 14 i purchased back in 1993 , the manual reads as follows. "the ranch rifle chambered for the 223 remington
is designed to use either standardized US military or factory loaded 223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."
Finally a definite answer to a question posted back in 2009

RIP 2.jpeg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think one of the origional posters, years ago stated that shooting 62 grain green tips screwed his rifle up after 1200 rds. I just don't believe that. There are guys out there, obviously with plenty of money that shoot that much a week, & are surprised when sh**t wears out.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts