Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to purchase a new Mini-14 GB LE Gov, Model 5829. This is a discontinued model that includes the SCAR stock from the factory.

I purchased an Aimpoint PRO for it and would like to possibly add an Aimpoint 3x magnifier. In addition, I'm considering mounting the Aimpoint without the spacer for a low profile look. For those with experience, will the LaRue or other low slide-to-side mounts align the Aimpoint 3x magnifier and Aimpoint PRO without spacer?

Also, does the Aimpoint 3x magnifier have enough eye relief to mount to the rear of the scar chassis top rail? That would seem to put it just above the ejection port. This setup would put the PRO forward about mid-rail I'm guessing.

Aside from LaRue, any other AP PRO mounts that are an improvement over the stock AP PRO? Possibly QD?

Any knowledgeable thoughts welcome.

Attachments

·
Banned
388 Posts
I have a Aimpoint Pro on my AR-556 and would never put a magnifier on it! I have tried it in the past and feel it is a total waste of money. It never works that good and eye relief sucks compared to just using the red-dot.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
RR, the Aimpoint Pro is a great optic and has all the eye relief you'd need to mount out on a rail. You can see from this pic that I had it out a ways on my Ultimak rail and it worked fine. I'm not so sure that the magnifier has more than a few inches of eye relief though.
My Pro sat up a bit too high ( with spacer) but the main reason I took it off my Mini was the size and weight of it, and I wanted some magnification:

The main object here is to project a red dot that you can see on the target, and a good micro red dot like the Trijicon RMR, Leupold Deltapoint, Aimpoint T1 or H1, or Burris FastFire III, does the same job while being a fraction of the size and weight of the Pro. Here is my grey Cerakote Mini-30 with FF III in a Protector mount:

The PRO is 5 inches long and weighs 7.8 ounces. That's as much as some scopes.
The Burris Fast Fire III weighs less than an ounce and is the size of your thumb. Battery life with the FF III is about a year and a half, compared to several years for the Aimpoint. My Fastfire is 2 years old and still on the original battery.
My point being, for about two ounces more than the PRO, you can mount a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x FireDot scope, and have a lighted dot at 1.5x for close in work or low light, and the capability to zoom to 4x if needed. Add a magnifier and swing mount to the PRO, and it will be way heavier, and close to twice the price, of a lighted dot scope.
Pic of the Leupold mark AR 1.5-4x on my AR:

The Mark AR weighs 9.6 ounces, and has Leupold's motion sensor to save batteries. If the rifle hasn't been moved in a while, the dot will turn off, the slightest movement will turn it back on. The dot, and the rest of the reticle, is visible even without battery power. The SPR reticle is calibrated for drop of a M855 62 grain, and the elevation turret is calibrated for a M193 55 grain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandog,

Great info. I toss this idea around regularly... stand alone red-dot sight, red-dot sight magnified, prismatic scope, or traditional scope.

I really think my only option to utilize the Aimpoint PRO that I currently own with the Aimpoint 3x magnifier is to use a pair of QD rings. It's a proven method w/ the PRO on the front receiver scope scallops. I THINK the rear receiver scope scallops are a viable option to accommodate the Aimpoint 3x magnifiers' short eye relief considering the scope ring attaches to the front of the Mag with the monocular portion pushing to the rear over the butt. This has no slide-to-side option but the 3x mag rotates from 0-3x. Unproven but a possibility.

I just don't like the look as well as mounting it on the top rail.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a Aimpoint Pro on my AR-556 and would never put a magnifier on it! I have tried it in the past and feel it is a total waste of money. It never works that good and eye relief sucks compared to just using the red-dot.
My AP 3x magnifier allows me a full 3 1/2" eye relief before I start losing exit pupil diameter which is more than acceptable.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I cannot answer your specific question.

But I can say that, unlike some others, I see a great value to a red dot coupled with a magnifier.

My eyes are not good enough to see the target well at 100 yards. I put magnifiers on flip mounts. Short range, red dot only. 100 yard? Magnifier flipped into place.

The Aimpoint PRO is an excellent red dot. Good choice.

The Lucid magnifier has a little more eye relief than many magnifiers. Comes sans mount, so you can buy the mount you need. Again, I would recommend a flip mount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts